New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my suspension ruined? (Sound/video clip inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is my suspension ruined? (Sound/video clip inside)

1998 FireBird TransAm WS6 - A4
59,000 miles

So, I know these cars don't have the best shocks in the world... well I was playing with a truck (who pulled on me hard after second gear, his turbo diesel was loud as ****, and awesome as hell. I gave him the metal horns and we talked about cars a little bit after) and I think when I launched I got really bad traction. I don't know as much about dragging and car physics as you guys, but I imagine that made wheel hop much worse? Well, anyways, after that my car has started to sound like a rickety pile of **** about to fall apart. I can feel every bump in the road much worse than before (at least it feels this way, I have no way of proving it. But even small inconsistencies in road elevation feel like potholes now.) I recorded a video of the sounds its making. This is what I get for racing in my DD, but damnit I cannot afford a ******* entire $1000+ suspension system lol. If I do have to replace anything, I'd like to lower the car a tiny bit and lean slightly towards handling over front-end lift (nothing crazy, I'd just like a smoother ride in general. I race in her, but it's my DD 99% more than it is a race car. I just like to have fun in my toy from time to time.)

Are you guys able to distinguish the noise in the video? You can hear it right away at the start of the video. Forgive the God-awful engine noise, the microphone in my cellphone is crap.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You wont need a "$1000+ suspension system", if something broke its likely just one thing that you will need to replace. But you will have to figure out what is squeaking, I don't think anyone can tell from that video, sounds like its coming from inside the car from the video but its just really bad quality.
You need to check the rear LCA bushings, rear swaybar bushings, and rear shocks, those are the likely culprits for a squeak in the rear for suspension.
If its a blown out shock that will be a blessing in disguise as if you upgrade them you will see the massive difference you get in ride, feel and control with actual good shocks.
It could also be an exhaust hanger or the exhaust rubbing something like a heat shield under the car.
I would not suggest taking the car to a shop unless you completely trust and or know them.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna get under her shortly.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I checked the front passenger wheel, and there was no play in the wheel. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for, but I took a few pictures if that matters at all.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Well, I checked the front passenger wheel, and there was no play in the wheel. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for, but I took a few pictures if that matters at all.
Why are you checking the front? Is the noise coming from there?
If you got wheel hop then that would effect the rear suspension, reread my original post and check the rear.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why are you checking the front? Is the noise coming from there?
If you got wheel hop then that would effect the rear suspension, reread my original post and check the rear.
That was just a theory of mine. The sound I keep hearing is definitely coming from the front right of the car, although I will be checking the other ones. Also, I should mention that suspension systems are what I am least familiar with on cars.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 04-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for sure it's coming from the front right side?
Have you tried pressing the front right hand side of the car down and up to try and duplicate the noise? The poster above told you great advice on what to check if it is indeed coming from the rear.

Quick Reply: Is my suspension ruined? (Sound/video clip inside)