New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this an LS1 T56?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an LS1 T56?

So I'm just starting my build, and trying very hard to source parts at a reasonable price (cheap). I have a guy offering a T56 that is from a 2000 Trans Am. He agreed to $1200 with me if I come pick it up, he's about 5 hours away from me. Just wondering if this looks like a legitimate LS1 T56 to anyone? This is my first swap and I am still learning a lot, and I would hate to get screwed and get stuck with a LT1 T56 that won't bolt up because of my lack of experience with the transmissions.

If it does look like a LS1 T56, what things should I check for to expose potential problems it might have? Of course he says it is in great shape, and I'm not saying he's lying, but I don't know how to know for sure.

It does not come with a bell housing or a shifter. Comes with TOB and slave that are in picture though.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Is this an LS1 T56?-00f0f_fb0bhqny5zs_1200x900.jpg   Is this an LS1 T56?-00v0v_dpvt89kcmwg_1200x900.jpg   Is this an LS1 T56?-01414_hkalpxwqvod_1200x900.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it could have been covered in oil and sludge but from the pictures it looks like he had just gotten done hitting it with a power washer so who knows what kind of shape its in. Id think 1200 for a used trans of unknown condition without a bellhousing might be a bit steep. Im not sure what the exact year was but sometime in the earlier years of the LS cars the t56 went from being made my borg warner to being made by Tremec. I think it was in 99 when they switched from BW to Tremec but dont quote me on that. If it ends up being from an LT car, youre still going to have to source a bellhousing from an LS1 t56 and do some other work to make everything work properly. IIRC, the input shaft and front bearing plate are different between the LT1 and LS1 style t56s.

Last edited by zachm89; 03-29-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks like an ls1 t56. sucks you have to drive so far, but $1200 is reasonable. Buying a used t56 is a crap shoot as far as what kind of shape its in.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll admit while at first I thought it was a great deal, I think maybe I should either keep searching or just spend the extra money and get a rebuilt one with a bellhousing..

You can see that in the second picture the case has been ground a bit too, he said it had a crack and was welded.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it is a ls1 trans. I wouldn't spend a dime without knowing what was in it or having had a chance to drive it. I know it's a crap shoot, but you don't see too many guys post "I got burned buying a used trans" but I'm sure a lot did. Not because someone was out to rip someone else off, but they wear and they need service. A rebuild will set you back 1000-1500 with parts and labor (e.g. I spent 1500 and I owned the car it's entire life) and it's funny what goes out on these things that need replacing.

That said, I would tell you only buy what you can drive and/or step up to a new one. I hate to say it that way, but you will spend 3k no matter what on a used on after a period of time and factoring in a rebuild, might as well have a new one and save everywhere else.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
it is a ls1 trans. I wouldn't spend a dime without knowing what was in it or having had a chance to drive it. I know it's a crap shoot, but you don't see too many guys post "I got burned buying a used trans" but I'm sure a lot did. Not because someone was out to rip someone else off, but they wear and they need service. A rebuild will set you back 1000-1500 with parts and labor (e.g. I spent 1500 and I owned the car it's entire life) and it's funny what goes out on these things that need replacing.

That said, I would tell you only buy what you can drive and/or step up to a new one. I hate to say it that way, but you will spend 3k no matter what on a used on after a period of time and factoring in a rebuild, might as well have a new one and save everywhere else.
Thats good advice. I could have bought a brand new magnum for what I have into rebuilding/repairing my t56. I bought mine off this forum and was supposed to be in good shape with 80k miles.

Quick Reply: Is this an LS1 T56?