Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 trans am Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am Mods

I have a 98 trans am stroked LS1. Mild camshaft, headers, cat backs, and after market Air flow senser and I think 80mm throttle body.
Heads are stock intake is also stock. It has a 6 speed manual and a 3:91 Moser rear end. it gets 12.7 in 1/4 mile at aroud 108- 110 mph
I want to replace the heads and cam and intake. I do nto drive it very often but would really luv to get this thing low 11's in the 1/4. So looking for advice on heads cam and intake. ANy help would be great
thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12.7 seems a bit slow for what you say is already done in the car. Even with a mild cam and bolt-ons you should already be creeping on low 12's if not high 11's. Something else is wrong in your car or some driver error(s) so figure that out first before any other mods. My friend runs 12.3's on his stock engine bolt-on auto camaro, so that is why I think you are slow.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Teching In

I know thats what I am saying and I am not saying I am any great driver but 12.7 was several runs. I took to a shop they told me low flow heads. So i knwo somethign is wrong but not sure How to figure it out
Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

How's your sixty foot time? Do you have a decent tire? Suspension set-up? Have you been to a dyno recently? Who tuned the car? What type of fuel system are you running (i.e. pump, injectors, etc.) It might be worth a little cash to get a good baseline and review engine parameters/statistics via data-log to figure out exactly what the problem is.

As to your specific question, you would be best served calling a reputable vendor like TEA or Texas speed (or a zillion others) to spec the correct head and cam package for your engine especially with it being a stroker. For the intake, its hard to go wrong with an LS6 manifold. It builds power and torque down low that you sacrifice with some of the short runner aftermarket manifolds. If you like spending money, the Fast 92 is also a good option.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I guess I will have to see if anyone up in boise can checdk it for me I had it checked and I was told change the heads and the cam
Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

You probably will benefit greatly from changing the heads and camshaft out. I think its wise to make sure there isn't any underlying issues though.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Teching In

wellI believe the block is solid it was built by a very good shop in Arizona. So I guess I can change the whole top end and go from there. I did call a shop in boise so I am goign to send them all the info on whats been doen to the car so far

Quick Reply: 98 trans am Mods