New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters? Valve Train? Piston Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters? Valve Train? Piston Slap?

I recently bought a 2001 C5z06 and it's the first LS powered car i've owned so i'm still getting used to the normal sounds. I've noticed a slight tick that comes at cold starts or even if the car has been sitting for a few hours. It seems to go away when oil temp comes up but sometimes its still slightly audible when at low rpms when starting from a stop.

I've built a few small block ford motors so I like to think I somewhat know what i'm doing lol. Anyway my guesses are either a) lifters taking a minute to pump up or b) piston slap. I've stethoscoped the whole top end and everything sounds great other than the injectors being loud as ****. It does kind of seem like it is coming from the bottom end but again could be lifters (definitely not heavy enough to be rod knock).

Let me know what y'all think. I can upload a video later if that might help.

Side note: the car only has 34k miles
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

34k miles and it goes away as it warms up? I'd bet $50 it's just piston slap and such. Extremely common with these cars. Once the metal swells up etc. it goes away. No big deal. You're a car guy, I'm sure you're not redlining it out of the driveway at 103F coolant temp. lol
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scales4576
I recently bought a 2001 C5z06 and it's the first LS powered car i've owned so i'm still getting used to the normal sounds. I've noticed a slight tick that comes at cold starts or even if the car has been sitting for a few hours. It seems to go away when oil temp comes up but sometimes its still slightly audible when at low rpms when starting from a stop.

I've built a few small block ford motors so I like to think I somewhat know what i'm doing lol. Anyway my guesses are either a) lifters taking a minute to pump up or b) piston slap. I've stethoscoped the whole top end and everything sounds great other than the injectors being loud as ****. It does kind of seem like it is coming from the bottom end but again could be lifters (definitely not heavy enough to be rod knock).

Let me know what y'all think. I can upload a video later if that might help.

Side note: the car only has 34k miles
Could be either piston slap or the lifters bleeding out too fast which is very common. Either way its nothing to get worried about.
You will notice the sound will increase if you do aftermarket headers due to them having thinner walls than the cast manifolds.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! It sucks that headers will make it more noticeable because long tubes are definitely coming in the near future haha.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To all.
Wasn't the LS1 piston slap issue pretty much with earlier LS1's, and by 2001 piston slap was no longer a common issue? Therefore never really an issue with LS6 engines? I know I've heard this before, but never knew for sure how much truth there is to it or just myth.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys! It sucks that headers will make it more noticeable because long tubes are definitely coming in the near future haha.
I notice it because my car is straight piped, but I think if you have a muffler, either stock or after-market catback, much less a muffler + catalytic converter, it won't be an issue for you. These cars sound great on headers.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

My 2000 WS6 does this and I just two weeks ago swapped over to a different exhaust system completely and I dont hear it at all anymore, new exhaust is also alot louder though. Swapping exhaust did not fix the issue but in some cases may cause you not to be able to hear it in the car.

Quick Reply: Lifters? Valve Train? Piston Slap?