Sponsored by:

Question on Oil for this LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Oil for this LS1

so just to get some more opinions.
when I bought my car the oil change sticker in it said it was done last at Jiffy Lube. so I decided to put good oil in it.
not knowing what it had in it before which I assume is conventional type oil I sprung to put good oil in it and put Royal Purple 10w30 in it.
I know the cap called for 5w30 but its been hot here in the middle of summer so I put the heavier oil in.
my question to you all that know more than me. Should I expect any issues with going from Conventional oil to Full Synthetic?
the only reason that I ask is because a few days ago i started the car up after it sat not starting for 2 days and it smoked on startup.
the only reason i noticed was i was taking a sound clip vid on my phone since i am about to change exhaust and wanted a vid to see the difference in the sound. but it smoked pretty good on start up.
also today i heard a little bit of a tick or knock. just notice it at an idle after its started for a few min then it goes away.

just wanted to get some ideas from you all and hear your thoughts
Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The tick could just be lifter noise and things like that. My car does that every cold start up until the metal swells up and oil thins out. The only problem with going from conventional to synthetic, as far as I understand, is if you have any minor leaks they will become more apparent with synthetic. Otherwise, they are interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Question on Oil for this LS1