Sponsored by:

exhaust and headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust and headers

I have a 2 part question

The first question is being in Rhode Island ad have pretty tough inspection and emission testing laws can I install headers on my bird without running a risk of failing an inspection/emission? I was told yes cause headers don't allow for sensors.

If I can't install headers should I still bother going forward with a nice 3" exhaust, like a cat back system? Is it worth the money and install time if exhaust is still being choked at the manifold?

What exhaust would recommend. Listening to many, tough to decide.

Thanks for being patient while I learn
Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You'll need to talk to someone in RI that is familiar with the local testing process, that's the only way to get a 100% correct answer. Some states still do a sniff test, others do a visual inspection, some are just OBD scan only, some are a combination of all three. If there is any sort of strict visual inspection, you will never pass with LT headers because they move the cats from the factory location. If it's just an OBD and/or sniff test, then passing with LT headers is no problem at all.

FYI, headers *do* allow for sensors, at least the front O2 sensors which are the important ones. Some or most might not have fittings for AIR or EGR systems (you wouldn't have EGR on an '01 car anyway), but those can be easily tuned out to allow you to still pass an OBD scan only test (but, again, if it's a visual check then you'll have trouble here.)

Yes, an aftermarket catback will still show gains even with the stock manifolds and cats. The '00-'02 stock manifolds offer a little better flow than the '98-'99 style. I would not exactly call the exhaust "choked" with these if the engine is stock, though of course LT headers would offer significant gains. Either way, you can expect about a ~10hp gain from a good 3" catback system. I know that's not a huge gain for the money that these systems typically cost, but there are other aspects (obviously audio, but also aesthetic) to this modification that many find worth it. As for which system to pick, that's a choice that only YOU can make. They all offer about the same power gains, so it's best to pick one based on sound and appearance (and your budget.)

If you just want it to be louder and want the most gain possible for the least amount of money, then a basic manual cutout could be installed in the I-pipe of the stock system.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a combo OBD and sniff test. I think that maybe a trip to the inspectors garage for a chat might be in order to see exactly what my options are. Thanks for your time.

Quick Reply: exhaust and headers