Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP REQUESTED: Couple of coolant related questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP REQUESTED: Couple of coolant related questions

So I finally got around to installing my water temp gauge. What a PITA. I got the starter off, saw the freeze plug, could not get it out. So, look higher up, and see the plug on the passenger side head and was able to get to it from under the car.

Only problem was, a lot more coolant poured out than I thought that, coupled with the fact I BROKE OFF THE FIRST EQUUS ADAPTER, geezus, people were serious, I think I tightened it only a little bit.

So, get a new one installed, with coolant all over the floor lol.

NOW, the questions, you'll have to bear with me:

1) Obviously I need to add more 50/50 mix of coolant/distilled water. I managed to save some coolant in a clean jug, but might be safer just to put new stuff in.

So, is it as simple as buying some Dexcool acceptable brand, mixing it 50/50 before hand and adding it via the RADIATOR? I don't add to the overflow right?

2) I have the TB bypass mod, which would make bleeding the system the way shown on installuniversity.com a pain. Can I just leave the top off the radiator while the car runs?

will I have to add to the overflow bin at all?

3) Does the coolant stuff evaporate? I'm afraid a little might have gotten inside the starter/transmission housing when it was running down my headers

Please help, would be much appreciated.

Mike
2002 SOM WS6
Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Teching In

ttt

Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Goods questions. I dont have any answers other than use new coolant. Dont reuse the old stuff. Its not expensive anyway. As far as what brand, I dunno. Just make sure its Dexcool (not Ethelene-Glycol). Sometimes you can find it premixed. Coolant doesnt evaporate like water. It will burn off the headers though in a distintive-sented white cloud.

Sorry, I couldnt be of more help.
Here is a TTT anyway.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2 first......Did you buy a bypass kit or did you just get some fuel line (3/8" if I remember correctly). Either way you will be doing exactly as it shows on install university.com. The only diference is that the coolant does not go through the throttle body and then the head, the by pass goes straight from the radiator to the head. Just disconnect the hose on the Drivers side head and perform the steps exactly the same.
#1 I would just buy new coolant. Better safe than sorry. And Yes you can just mix it 50/50 or you can buy pre-mixed coolant. BUT MAKE SURE IT'S DEX-COOL.
#3 VIP1 is right the stuff will just burn off. The Starter/transmission housing is the Bellhousing. It contains either the clutch (6-speed) or the torque converter. You won't harm a torque converter, but there is a small chance the coolant got on the clutch linners and will burn itself off. You should be safe. I haven't heard of anyone messing a clutch up by doing this.

Last edited by Richiec77; 06-29-2004 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added a change
Old 06-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Richiec77
#2 first......Did you buy a bypass kit or did you just get some fuel line (3/8" if I remember correctly). Either way you will be doing exactly as it shows on install university.com. The only diference is that the coolant does not go through the throttle body and then the head, the by pass goes straight from the radiator to the head. Just disconnect the hose on the Drivers side head and perform the steps exactly the same.
#1 I would just buy new coolant. Better safe than sorry. And Yes you can just mix it 50/50 or you can buy pre-mixed coolant. BUT MAKE SURE IT'S DEX-COOL.
#3 VIP1 is right the stuff will just burn off. The Starter/transmission housing is the Bellhousing. It contains either the clutch (6-speed) or the torque converter. You won't harm a torque converter, but there is a small chance the coolant got on the clutch linners and will burn itself off. You should be safe. I haven't heard of anyone messing a clutch up by doing this.
Six Speed, and I would think that would be the case.......I'm pretty sure most ran down onto my fawking chest and face lol.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DohHunterWS6
Six Speed, and I would think that would be the case.......I'm pretty sure most ran down onto my fawking chest and face lol.

Thanks for the help guys.
When I changed the tranny fluid on my mother's Lumina a few years ago, I think I wore most of the fluid. I wish they would but a drain on those pans like the oil pan.