Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Trans Am LS1 fuel pressure low

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am LS1 fuel pressure low

Hi, my TransAm just recently began having trouble starting. It cranks for like 10 seconds and then fires up. If I prime the pump twice it works pretty well.

So, I checked the fuel pressure, first prime was like 14PSI...... if I do it twice it goes to 35~PSI, and then RAPIDLY drops to 20PSI, and then slowly over a few minutes down to 9PSI. When the car starts up and idles, it stays at 42PSI consistently for over 5 minutes of testing, but on shut off it IMMEDIATELY starts to dive into the 20s, and then back down to 9PSI. Is my fuel pump fucked? Or something else? Or what the hell? I just spent all my money surviving Hurricane Irma FFS.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be the pump check valve or fuel pressure regulator, both are in the tank.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Could be the pump check valve or fuel pressure regulator, both are in the tank.
Would buying a new fuel pump fix all of those collectively? Also, is the backdoor method, you know, safe? Between the sparking, and then the exposed fuel pump to the cabin where my wife and kids are? Otherwise, the shops want 4 digits in labor because of how ******* stupid these F-bodies were designed with dropping the tank to access it.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'Also, is the backdoor method, you know, safe?' I did the 'trapdoor' 14 years ago,since the tank is underneath the hatch floor,it can be sealed(the trapdoor) to keep separate the outside to the hatch area. I didn't 'seal' mine,I just have a small road sign covering the hole underneath the carpet. Never had an 'odor'. The replacement pump went after a few years while I was on I75 down in Florida. Since I carried a extra pump,15 minutes and I was back up running.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Sounds like you need a new pump, it should be at 58-60psi at all times when running. If you get a complete module it will contain everything mentioned above (pump, FP regulator, check valve.)

There is no safety concern with the trap door method. You can cover the hole with sheet metal and seal it with silicone or rope caulk if you wish, but as long as you install the pump properly in the tank you won't have any gas fumes to deal with regardless.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Would buying a new fuel pump fix all of those collectively? Also, is the backdoor method, you know, safe? Between the sparking, and then the exposed fuel pump to the cabin where my wife and kids are? Otherwise, the shops want 4 digits in labor because of how ******* stupid these F-bodies were designed with dropping the tank to access it.
If you decide to cut a door make sure to not go any deeper than the metal as the fuel lines and wires are RIGHT there. I loosened the two fuel tank straps to lower the tank a little before making the cut.

As others have stated cover the hole up with something. I bought some thick weatherstripping and put around the hole, then placed the metal I cut on top of it. I had my carpet out to track a water leak and without carpet or cover, I could smell exhaust fumes coming in while stopped, plus that pump is loud when it's 5' from your head lol.

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am LS1 fuel pressure low