New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 or LQ9 info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 or LQ9 info?

Hey guys, im Brian. Newly 19 years old and wanting to learn everything I can about LS engines. Specifically the Third Gen (if im right?) truck engines. Like the LQ4 and LQ9 and LM7. Why? Ive stumbled upon a cool trade for my POS bimmer or like I like to call it the Bummer. A 91 240sx with an LS swap sorta... It was LS Swapped in the past and comes with a PSI harness for truck engines and A Gen 3 Red and Blue ECU? (Do not know what that means?) it also comes with a stock t56. My problem? No motor. Im trying to find out more info about the engines that will work with the harness and the strengths and weaknesses of them respectively.

I also would like to know how to make 4-500HP to the wheels relatively cheap. Ive found an LM7 on craigslist comes with these items. Machined LM7 block w/cam bearings pressed, 706 heads, main bearings, coils, intercooler piping and intercooler. Im wondering specifically if this engine will work with the harness and also what else I will need to make this engine work as hes giving it away cheaply for around 500$ (where I come from BMW engines are EXPENSIVE) Please any help would be appreicated!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things to consider....the LM7 is a 5.3 and the LQ9 is a high compression 6.0. If your goal is to make 400-500 HP the LQ9 would be a more realistic platform. If you are planning to boost then the 5.3 would be a suitable option. However, to achieve the 500-ish whp range on the LQ9 will take some pretty serious upgrades including aftermarket intake, aftermarket heads/re-worked heads, and a proper cam from what I have read.

The Red & Blue PCM is the 0411 PCM which is the universally used PCM for these types of swaps. I believe the harness should work with either motor since they are both Gen 3's but dont quote me on that.

Check out the Dyno/HP threads and Gen 3 threads to get a better idea of what it would take for your goal.

Welcome to the LS and S-Chassis world bud.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 10-24-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: LM7 or LQ9 info?