Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Whining sound during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - Whining sound during acceleration

Hi, I just got a '02 Trans Am which looks like it was well cared for, but something happens when after the car warms up and sits idling for too long (like at a long red light or at the dmv). If the car has been idling for a bit and I hit the accelerator, the engine makes a high pitched whining sound. The whine gets louder the more I open the throttle. It happens even when the car is out of gear. I popped the hood and pressed the throttle a few times, and the sound is coming from the area that the Power Steering Pump and Alternator is in. I checked the Power Steering Reservoir, and the spring from the cap had fallen into the fluid, and the cap was not on there tight. I am guessing that moisture got into the fluid because there was a lot of gunk on the sides of the reservoir that looked like mucous, and the fluid itself was low and discolored. I assumed this was the issue, so I siphoned out the fluid, put in fresh fluid, and got as much gunk as I could out from the inside. This didn't fix the issue, or make it any better. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing it? When I am just starting the car up, or cruising around, there is no whine whatsoever. It is only when the car is warmed up and has idled for a few minutes. If I start driving with the whine, it tends to go away by the time I get up to 5th gear. If I stay in 5th gear long enough (like on the highway or interstate), the whine will go away unless I sit still again for too long.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As soon as I read the title I thought it was the power steering pump. I think you might need a power steering pump or a new steering rack. Might as well change the power steering pressure line while you are at it if it is original, before it gets a chance to leak.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sounds like your factory power steering cooler has developed a leak and caused some cross-contamination of PS fluid and coolant. This is a very common problem, here's another thread on it from yesterday:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...water-oil.html

And here's a direct link to the sticky thread on this same topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

Overall, I agree with the above. It's likely that the PS pump has become damaged by the intrusion of engine coolant. That could certainly lead to the whine you're hearing. But the system should be cleaned/flushed of all contamination, and the faulty PS cooler removed, before installing a new pump.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for the info, I will look into it.

Quick Reply: Help - Whining sound during acceleration