Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor

I asked a question about my 98 camaro z28 I installed pacesetter headers and had a tune put on it. I was told to put wideband 02 sensor in y pipe but my new question is do I have to wire it to ecm or is it just for tuner, if so does what does he need to hook up to sensor or do I need to do something else ??? I am still collecting parts for my tranny upgrade i have new tranny, torque converter rear main for motor, flywheel, tranny mount, rear main for tranny, anything I can do while tranny out is advantageous. Any input would be appreciated
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mike carter
I asked a question about my 98 camaro z28 I installed pacesetter headers and had a tune put on it. I was told to put wideband 02 sensor in y pipe but my new question is do I have to wire it to ecm or is it just for tuner, if so does what does he need to hook up to sensor or do I need to do something else ??? I am still collecting parts for my tranny upgrade i have new tranny, torque converter rear main for motor, flywheel, tranny mount, rear main for tranny, anything I can do while tranny out is advantageous. Any input would be appreciated
I found this while reading through one of the PCM/Diagnostic stickies:

http://wbo2.com/sw/logtech.htm

"All Tech Edge's Wideband (WBo2) units include some form of serial (either RS232, USB, or CAN) logging capability. Some include on-board logging memory for data collection without a PC (3A2/3E2, 3B1), and others don't (3A1/3E1, 2C0, 2D0/1, 2J1, etc.) but they all generate a serial data stream that can be sent to a collection device (a PC, etc.) for later analysis."

P.S. Throw in a new torque arm mount bushing and a trans cooler while you are at it.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

I am not aware of any PCM that GM made for our cars that accepts a 5v WB signal, analog or CAN bus etc.

Tuners (like me) use WideBands for logging and adjusting the tune according to your setup. They are the most used sensor in any tuning software. It is critical that you know the actual air fuel ratios rather than relying on a traditional Narrowband O2, which is only accurate at or near Stoich values (14.63:1 AFR).

Traditional O2's also only produce up to about 1.2 volts (typically 1), depending on the difference inside and outside the pipe. The more fuel = less air, the more voltage it will produce. Typically around 900-975 mV when very rich. So that is the range the PCM expects to see, 0 - 1000 mV (1200 according to the range in the tune). A WB signal would not work on this input since most of them typically produce up to 5 volts.

ss.slp's post above is correct as you can analyze the data later, or in real time. The PCM though, cannot use these inputs to make adjustments. It would be pretty cool if it could though, but it just wasn't designed with that in mind.

Tuners use WB to tune the MAF and VE tables. These are the two most important fuel tables in your tune. These can have a drastic effect on whether your engine blows itself up during a super lean condition, or lives to race another day.