Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debaffle Rivet Size??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debaffle Rivet Size??

I’m trying to debaffle my ram air hood, and would like to know what drill bit size I need before I go and strip the rivets and F myself over.. anyone know??
Old 03-25-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've done this to mine. Not sure what you mean about stripping out the rivets but basically start with the smallest bit that makes contact with the sides and go up a size until it's all the way through.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
I've done this to mine. Not sure what you mean about stripping out the rivets but basically start with the smallest bit that makes contact with the sides and go up a size until it's all the way through.
What I meant is that I’ve been told it was 1/8”, I try that and the bit just spins and strips the metal on the top of the rivet. I’ve been told to find one just barely larger of the head of the rivet. I go one size down (/32 or something like that) and while it’s smaller, it doesn’t go in the hole and only begins to strip away the metal on the top. I found an extremely tiny bit that fit inside the hole, and it was fairly snug, however it just spun and spun and I could feel the inside metal being stripped as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Rivets have a tendency to spin when you try to drill them. Sometimes you get lucky and they hold. You have to try different pressures sometimes to get them to drill and you need to hit them with high speed. Keep trying and you'll get it. You may have to grind the head off of that one you've been working on, it may have spun too much to grab at all anymore.

Punching out the center pin in the rivet helps too, find a small tap and hammer and pop that center pin and it will fly out.