New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to install a Apexi S-AFC on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible to install a Apexi S-AFC on our cars?

Mostly import cars with turbo's use the Apexi-S-AFC but i was wondering if I installed it on my car, if it's even possible to even install on my car. The apexi website says it's universal. would it help me out in anyway. I know it's possible to gain an extra 10+hp with this thing. And it looks soo damn cool Maybe i could toss my MAFT with this thing. here's a description of what it does.

Piggyback Fuel Computer

Modifies air-flow meter signal (pressure signal in some vehicles) to optimize fuel-air ratio; Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).

The second-generation S-AFC is a fuel computer that adjusts fuel/air
ratio by modifying the air-flow meter/MAP sensor signal. The S-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems. The S-AFC is capable of monitoring and replaying the following data channels in Numerical, Analog Meter and Graph displays: Intake Manifold Vacuum/Boost Pressure, Air Flow Capacity, Intake Manifold Pressure, Karmann Frequency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Air Flow Correction %.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, just save your money for something else dude...or for a proper tune when you get the cam (in you sig).
Old 07-05-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its basically a maft with a fancy display.

its a bandaid, like your maft.

get a real tune, or tuning software

Ryan
Old 07-05-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
its basically a maft with a fancy display.

its a bandaid, like your maft.

get a real tune, or tuning software

Ryan

yea so i have been told. I probably will once i get $500. I just like how the s-afc graphs out **** and all the flashy lights it has.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Default afc

for these car's the afc is not a good choice. the afc is for people that want to tune there car and they need to understand the basic's. To do so. however the afc is lacking greatly in that it is not a logger. To make it effective on a tune you still need to by a computer and a logger. after doing all of this you only control the fuel.

The software out for the ls1 can do so much more for about the same money in the long run. not only can you log and control full but now you are able to tamper with just about every setting on the pcm including spark cags! and such.
if you are looking for just a good tune after you have done some mods like your cam and aren't willing or able to learn or spend the money on tuning tool's your best bet is to take it to a professinal. this is also teh cheapest route if you arn't going extreme and are only going ot have to tune your car once or twice for mod's like head's and cam.

I have had a lot of experince on the afc and it's a very useful tool in the right hand's and on the right car's. the car's I used it on are one's that haven't had tunning software avaliable for them because of a small market for them. with car's like the ls1 that has so many logging and tunning tool's now is best to stay away from them.

Quick Reply: Possible to install a Apexi S-AFC on our cars?