Sponsored by:

Considering 02 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Vox
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 02 Trans Am

I am looking into getting a 02 trans am. Must be ram air, t top, 6spd, and I ws6. I plan on daily driving the car and am look for something with less than 100k miles. I've heard these motors can last a very long time if maintained, is that correct?

Are there any major issues to look for? Are there big maintenance items to consider?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You've come to the right place, check the classifieds here.

Also WS6 = Ram Air (WS6 RPO code on door jab if its real)
In case you don't know the WS6 (and SS) package is more of an appearance package than anything else, they were not any more powerful or any faster than the standard TransAm or Z28, even though they were rated with more power. ALL Ls1's make ~350hp, regardless of what they came in or what they are rated at, the ratings were all marketing back then so the Fbody wouldn't step on the Corvette's toes.

The WS6 cars got:
-17x9" wheels with 275/40 tires front and back (compared to 16x8 wheels with 245s)
-a hollow 32mm front swaybar (compared to a 30mm front bar)
-"better" shocks (still junk)
-fiberglass Ram Air hood (compared to steel flat hood)
-WS6 badge and RPO code on door jab

Issues to look out for/expect:

Those are pretty much a guarantee with these cars, here is other things to look out for/know about.

The clutch hydraulic system on these cars is not great for speed shifting (GM did this on purpose). Also the stock clutch pressure plate is self adjusting and the mechanism can screw up causing the clutch to not fully disengage meaning you will not be able to shift in high RPMs.
            Fix is a tick adjustable master cylinder for the hydraulics and for the clutch just an aftermarket one that isn't self adjusting.

The 10 bolt rear end on these cars are weak and won't take too many hard drag strip launches or wheel hop without breaking something. They are cheap to rebuild or you can buy an aftermarket 12 bolt rear or a 9" rear end.

On a positive note these engines respond to mods very very well, simple intake/full exhaust and you will see 40+rwhp gains. The sky is the limit on how much power you want to make with these. The aftermarket is endless and pretty cheap compared to other cars.
            A car will 100K miles has likely already had its window motors replaced and headlight gears replaced by now fortunately for you.

I would also highly suggest buying a set of good shocks if you buy a car with the stock decarbon shocks (orange/black shocks, say "DeCarbon" on them). They are poor riding and handling shocks and replacing them with something good like bilsteins or konis will make a world of difference in how well the car will ride and handle.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 04-14-2018 at 03:04 PM.
            Old 04-15-2018, 12:38 PM
            TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great things to consider ^^^^. also when checking out a car you are looking at ,remove the oil filler while the engine is running . put your handle over the oil filler tube ,and check for any pulsing pressure ,if none great ! check the brake master cylinder for clean or dirty brake fluid .with dirty brake fluid ,you mite get a sticky brake caliper .