New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day in my WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018 | 12:47 AM
Teching In

Default First track day in my WS6

I recently bought a stock 2002 Trans Am WS6 with 48k miles. I used to own a cammed WS6 back in 2005 so it’s been a bit. So far on my new one I’ve put speed engineering longtubes, true dual rear exit exhaust, SLP lid and a tune, BF Goodrich summer tires, brake motive drilled and slotted rotors and pads. It has all stock suspension still.

I can tell the clutch will need replaced in the not too distant future. Any advice on things I should do maintenance wise? Anything that will make a significant difference under $500?

Im doing a open track day at Nola Motorsports outside of New Orleans. It’s a 2.75 mike track. This is probably a one time thing of taking it to the track.
Old 05-03-2018 | 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

As far as track day,which 'model' of BFG summer tires,general consumer tires or 'traction advantage' KD series. Oh,and I like all BFG tires.
Out of your price area,shocks.
Old 05-03-2018 | 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with replacing the shocks. I noticed a major improvement in handling after I replaced the factory shocks. I went with the KYB brand, AGX model shocks. They are adjustable. You can get a set of shocks and mounts for about $500.
Old 05-03-2018 | 05:28 PM
Teching In

They probably are just the BFG general consumer tires. I paid about $175/tire and that was after price matching.

Sounds like shocks is the way to go. I see a set of 4 bilsteins on ws6project for $380. Might go that route.
Old 05-03-2018 | 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

to OP,you say it's probably a one time thing,so go out there and have some fun(SAFELY). You'll get tips from others there and you'll learn from the feel of the car where improvements can be made should you ever want to do it again.
Old 05-03-2018 | 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aje188
I recently bought a stock 2002 Trans Am WS6 with 48k miles. I used to own a cammed WS6 back in 2005 so it’s been a bit. So far on my new one I’ve put speed engineering longtubes, true dual rear exit exhaust, SLP lid and a tune, BF Goodrich summer tires, brake motive drilled and slotted rotors and pads. It has all stock suspension still.

I can tell the clutch will need replaced in the not too distant future. Any advice on things I should do maintenance wise? Anything that will make a significant difference under $500?

Im doing a open track day at Nola Motorsports outside of New Orleans. It’s a 2.75 mike track. This is probably a one time thing of taking it to the track.
Good shocks will make all the difference in the world. Bilsteins are decent, Koni sports are much better if you have the coin.
Good brake pads(not ceramic junk) will make a nice difference as well, and watch those cross drilled rotors as they are known to crack under high heat/heavy use. A quality blank rotor will not only stop better but you won't have to worry about it cracking.

After doing a track day you will probably not stop thinking about it until you go back...
Old 05-03-2018 | 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

^^^ agree on the 'bling' rotors.