Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 Suspension

I have a 2002 WS6 and am trying to kind of plan out future mods and cost. Right now the car is stock. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what exactly is included with the WS6 suspension upgrades. I HAVE SEARCHED and all I can find is that it adds "some suspension stuff". What do I need to plan to upgrade. My goal is around 400-450 HP with as close to stock drivability as possible. In other words, I want to keep my fuel mileage acceptable and have the car still be completely reliable. This will probably take me 3 years but I need to approximate the cost and find out what I'm going to need. What should I look into and what DO I NOT NEED because of the WS6 package? What about the suspension/traction kits such as the ones at lmperformance.com? Finally, what is the advantage of chrome moly? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well, if you want to leave it at the stock hieght and could care less about cornering performance then leave the stock springs and struts/shocks alone for now since they are still relatively new. If you for some reason just feel the need to replace the shocks just get some Bilstein HD's. Any aftermarket springs though will more or less require new shocks and they will affect the ride comfort some. Other wise I'd get the basics like strut bar, torque arm, panhard bar and control arms. You don't need the relocation brackets unless you lower it. The WS6 suspension stuff is kinda a myth on the 02's, it's all the same as the Formula. You may also want to look into sway bars if you wanna take some of the body roll out of the car. Your HP goals are doable if you pick the right cam profile and a really good set of heads, but your gas milage is gonna suffer a little bit at that power level. As far as chrome moly goes, it's stronger than regular steel and costs a little more, but unless you plan on some serious drag racing or AutoXing I wouldn't worry about it. You may also want to consider a front K member, they drasticly improve clearence for long tube headers and shave quite a bit of wieght off the front of the car. Any more questions?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that was a great response. The only thing else I was wondering was whether I should buy these separately or as a kit, and what brands are good for these items? Also, do most people do sway bars? Will the things you listed affect the ride quality or will it all just help me get better traction? Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can buy these things separately a little at a time. Several places make good products and it depends on your budget as well as your desires. Most people do not change the sway bars unless improved handling is a priority. Springs will affect ride quality. Stiffer shocks will affect ride quality. Since you seem more concerned w/ keeping ride quality the same and gaining a little better traction I'd recommend staying w/ poly bushing ends on anything you buy. Products w/ heim joints/ball joints will make the connections much stiffer and tend to make a little noise. The poly stuff will take some of the mushyness out w/ out being to harsh. The first thing I recommend is a good set of frame connectors like the Kenny Brown DD's. As far as the other stuff in your case I would suggest a torque arm, rear control arms and a panhard bar, none of which needs to be adjustable unless you are going to lower the car. As far as brands go there are several that are good, LG motor sports of course, Hotchkis, Spohn even the BMR stuff is OK. Do some research on the forums, get an idea of what your budget is and buy the best stuff that fits. As far as your HP goals go, I'd start saving up for a good set of heads, nice cam, springs, LT headers and a good exhaust cause that's gonna cost a bundle more than the few suspension things I listed, but get the subframes FIRST!!! They will keep your car from becoming a pretzel w/ all that power.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:27 AM
STF Veteran

Only suspension part upgraded on the WS6 was the 32mm front swaybar. Other than that, it's the same as all other '02 LS1 f-bods.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

I think it's hard to tell you what to pick up without knowing your goal as far as suspension performance. If you're drag racing, I'm not going to tell you to put on a solid 35mm front sway bar, but if you're autocrossing or road racing, that may be part of a package that would work. You may want up to a 225lb spring in the back if you're wanting to run the car on road courses, but if youre drag racing, that's going to hurt your traction.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no interest in autocrossing or road racing. This will be a fast yet dependable daily driver that will see the occasional trip to the dragstrip.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Then here is your list for suspension

#1 subframes

everything else when you have the money

rear control arms
torque arm
panhard bar

leave every thing else alone until it wears out or breaks
Old 07-07-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been looking at SFC's and whenever I have the money I think I will probably go with the G2's (made by LG motorsports) . Then I can stick with this brand for all my chassis stuff. I think I want tubular because I don't want them to show if possible and I don't think I need boxed. Anyway, I have a couple questions. Are the Kenny Brown Double Diamonds any better than the G2? And with the G2, they offer the option of v-braces that connect the SFC's with the driveshaft loop. I know this makes it sturdier, but in your opinion, is it worth the money for my application? Is the G2 heavy duty torgue arm worth its nearly $500 price tag? Finally, is an engine bay brace something I should look into? I know I will get all this stuff in the future but I want to plan now. Thanks, this has been a big help.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by matts22
Is the G2 heavy duty torgue arm worth its nearly $500 price tag?
It's probably the most highly regarded non-adjustable piece. However, if you need an adjustable torque arm for whatever reason, you'll have to look toward a Random Tech or SLP or similar. They also happen to be cheaper and no one complains about them.

Originally Posted by matts22
Finally, is an engine bay brace something I should look into? I know I will get all this stuff in the future but I want to plan now.
This appears to have been a fad. For every person that thinks it makes an appreciable difference, you'll find someone else who thinks they're hardly worth the time or money, even though it's not much of either.

Quick Reply: WS6 Suspension