Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe

I'm having a bunch of small things fixed on my 2012 Caprice, including a leak in the flex pipe off the manifold. I was going to do a full Kooks exhaust but I really don't want to spend the 3000 for it. I was thinking of just cutting out the rear mufflers for now. Never done this on a car with catalytic converters and resonators before. Will just removing the mufflers make it very loud? I don't want it to be too crazy. I'm not sure how much the resonators and all quiet it down. This is a stock L77.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It's going to be loud. You could just slap in some cheap bullet mufflers to knock down the noise a bit if you want.
​​​​​​
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have LongTube Headers, Off-Road Y, no cat and no muffler before the cutout. When my cut out is open it is pretty loud, but I'm pretty used to it. Just be noted, it's loud enough to set off car alarms with a good rev. I don't know about with stock manifold etc.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, with the Caprice having two cats, a large center mid muffler, two resonators and then two rear mufflers at the tailpipes, cutting just the rear mufflers out and replacing with pipe will not make it very loud. It'll probably just make it loud enough to have some sound, like a slight rumble.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Well, with the Caprice having two cats, a large center mid muffler, two resonators and then two rear mufflers at the tailpipes, cutting just the rear mufflers out and replacing with pipe will not make it very loud. It'll probably just make it loud enough to have some sound, like a slight rumble.
Good catch. I was seeing the leaking flex connector and assuming he'd run the straight pipe for a longer stretch. If it's just the mufflers and the rest of the factory system isn't being touched then it'll be louder, but it shouldn't set off car alarms like a front to back straight pipe.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
Good catch. I was seeing the leaking flex connector and assuming he'd run the straight pipe for a longer stretch. If it's just the mufflers and the rest of the factory system isn't being touched then it'll be louder, but it shouldn't set off car alarms like a front to back straight pipe.
I agree.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:14 PM

How much power will a straight pipe make?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Guys do this with G8's and it's really not loud at all. There are lots of youtubes of this setup.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. I was just talking about the rear mufflers. It would still have everything in place ahead of that; two cats, resonators and the center muffler. Think I might give it a try.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Gen 1 V guys do this and it sounds ok.
You can just cut them off and see how it sounds as is.
Drive it around and see if it’s tolerable. If it is then pay to add the straight pipe