Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 newb

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 newb

I have a 64 Impala SS I知 restoring. I have a buddy who has a LQ4 with 140k on it. I知 not going crazy with this swap. It痴 also my 1st one. I壇 like to put LS1/LS2 intake on it and call it a day. Unfortunately no harness so I値l have to buy a harness and computer. My questions are. 1st I知 not building for hp I知 building for reliability and and budget swap (except harness and comp). So any ideas would be cool. Buying motor for $800. Good deal? Am I doing right type of build will it be sufficient? Thanks for any responses .
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you get all the accessories with this engine? Alternator, power steering pump, water pump, starter, ect ?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Teching In

i got my lq4 off craigslist with same mileage and had the same idea as you. i picked it up for 600 bucks and now looking back i wish i would have passed on it due to the fact the previous owner sliced and diced my harness in bad places and he cracked the oilpan. I found a pan at a junkyard for 40 bucks but now im going through a huge learning curve on the engine control side of things. there are many variables to look at. on the efi side of things you have to realize your starting with a vehicle that was setup for a carb. your going to have to invest in an expensize fuel tank with baffles and run a fuel pump to that ls2 intake or go with a less efficient inline pump of sorts and be able to regulate the the pressure. you than have cost of wiring harness and computer. if you go with an oe pcm you need to buy one that has the vats bypassed and it has to have a base tune close your cars specs to get it started. Than you'll have to have it dynotuned. another route may be is to ditch the oe and go aftermarket standalone ecu. or go carbed intake and msd trigger the spark.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Teching In

you said budget.. so what is your budget? i thought low miles would equal reliable and i neglected to thoroughly look over my motor when i purchased it. after i got it home i discovered a loose head bolt. turned out somebody did a quicky head gasket job on it so now i have to bite the bullet. im not rich but i want dependable. now im piece by piece rebuilding a motor that has expensive head gaskets, cleaning cylinders replacing valve seals blah blah blah. my point is the only way your going to satisfy dependable on a tight budget is to absolutely know 100 percent that your source took care of that baby or had it worked on by someone reputable and reliable. throw it in your car and send me a youtube of scorching some tires off
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I put a 156,000 mile LQ4 in a 73 Nova last winter, All stock except aftermarket intake and headers and 3" dual exhaust out the rear. Trans runs a 3600 stall. Plenty of power and it sounds great.
You can pick up a custom harness for around $600 and get the ecu programed for another $100 or so, No need for tuning if you're keeping it stock.
I would run a 4l80e or 4l60e since the ecu will control it and you have the added benefit of overdrive.
The fuel system can be figured out easy enough and doesn't have the break the bank.
I would guess that with the cost of the engine you'll still be looking at spending $1500 to $3,000 more depending on the parts you choose.
You should probably find an Impala forum and see what others have done, It will save you time and money to already know what works and what doesn't.
These swaps are really popular right now so you shouldn't have any problem finding plenty of information on your car.

$800 is a decent price for a good running 6.0
Old 10-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Okay so I changed my mind and landed an LS1 out of 02 corvette with 67k miles on it. Getting harness built. Unfortunately the module and pedal were sold so I知 changing it from dbw to dbc. Anyone have a GM part # for dbc throttle body? Or know where I could pick one up? Also I am running a 04 4L60E out of a truck that was was bolted to 5.3 . What flywheel will I need? The stock one has that prop shaft bolted to it. Also question about ignition. It痴 a 64 Impala SS is there anything else special for the ignition ? I知 sure I値l have more questions. Thanks for time!
Old 10-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Also best place for headers and oil pan kit for 02 LS1 going in 64 Impala SS ? Thanks