New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty exhaust manifold bolts removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019 | 12:35 AM
Teching In

Had a joyous day. Grabbed my brother's mig welder. Became an expert at welding... got my cert at university of youtube . Listened to my brother's brief instructions. Bought a new auto-darkening welding helmet. I then commenced to remove two "worse than flush" broken exhaust manifold bolts. The bolts had been broken a long time so what I could see was dirty and rusty. I dremmeled them a bit to make them shiny before I applied "goobers". Grabbed on to the goobers with a Vice Grip. Out they came. I have to say, watching the video earlier in this thread was inspirational. Thanks for posting the video LLLosingit! I have two to go but they'll be easier than the first two. After those two, I'll attack a motorcycle engine that needs similar work. It's been sitting around for a long time waiting for attention .
Old 02-10-2019 | 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

That video helped me so I try to pass it along, I had good luck welding nut on the portion that struck out and even some that were flush but had never tried the building the weld up like he did, It does work well.
Old 02-10-2019 | 09:08 AM
12 Second Club
5 Year Member

It sounds like like it's time for a heads/cam/header swap.

I was getting the manifolds replaced when one of the bolts broke off inside the head. Fortunately, the mechanic was able to weld a bolt onto the broken bolt, and back it out that way. Here's some photo's: