Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen z28/ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen z28/ss

Hey guys quick and simple question. 2002 Z28 Camaro, If I install all the SLP performance parts on the Z28 does it make it an SS? Very silly question but just want others opinion on it.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Not officially. Plus the parts aren't worth the money. Much better stuff has hit the market in the past 20 years.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Teching In

I agree with you 100%
Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Original SS cars didn't really come with any SLP performance parts as part of the base "WU8" package. The SS package was mostly cosmetic, the only "performance enhancing" items were the smaller muffler with 0.50" larger tail pipes, the "ram air" hood, and the larger wheels and tires - and all of those parts, except the hood, were GM pieces rather than SLP.

Granted, you could certainly order a host of "Y2Y" SLP upgrade content on an SS, though some items weren't available for all years. Regardless, as mentioned above, it's never going to be an original SS unless it was assembled that way when born. Having said that, the "original" LS1 SS cars didn't come with any specific engine, transmission or other major drivetrain parts so cloning a base example, if that's your desire, is really just a matter of cosmetics.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Original SS cars didn't really come with any SLP performance parts as part of the base "WU8" package. The SS package was mostly cosmetic, the only "performance enhancing" items were the smaller muffler with 0.50" larger tail pipes, the "ram air" hood, and the larger wheels and tires - and all of those parts, except the hood, were GM pieces rather than SLP.

Granted, you could certainly order a host of "Y2Y" SLP upgrade content on an SS, though some items weren't available for all years. Regardless, as mentioned above, it's never going to be an original SS unless it was assembled that way when born. Having said that, the "original" LS1 SS cars didn't come with any specific engine, transmission or other major drivetrain parts so cloning a base example, if that's your desire, is really just a matter of cosmetics.
Well said. Thanks again for your response. I had an 02 original SS Camaro. A 90 yr old senor ran into my baby and totalled it out smh. My 1st SS car that I've owned, was a very proud owner at that lol. Long story short. I'm picking up my 02 Z28 Camaro in a couple of days and the fact that it isn't an SS bugs me out. Don't get me wrong car is very clean and mileage is at 50k original. But as bad as I would like to replace all the Z28 emblems for the SS badges I'm not really the one who likes making clone cars because it's not originally an SS. Idk it's just my own personal issue but time to man up and be a proud "Z28" owner. 1 thing ikno is that it's still going to be 1 bad *** Z28 to cruise through the streets of Los Angeles!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I've never put much stock into ss emblems after about 1971. In the mid 90's dealers were putting ss emblems on Cavaliers. If that's not a low point I don't know what is.