Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019 | 06:38 PM
Teching In

Default Lsx

Hey what's up guys. Today's topic is "LSX"
Now I have an LS1 bone stock. I want to build an LSX, so what all would I have to do or change to make the LS1 into an LSX? Heads, Cam, Intake, Pistons, Lifters and ect??
Old 05-21-2019 | 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

LSX is commonly used 2 ways.

The first is as a generic tag for any LS motor. So you would already have an LSX in that scenario since you have an LS1.

The other way is in reference to an actual LSX crate motor. In that scenario it's the LSX block that you need so having an LS1 just means you have the accessories and now have to buy the engine.
Old 05-22-2019 | 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Call Texas Speed they will build you whatever your pocket book will stand..
Old 05-22-2019 | 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bammax
LSX is commonly used 2 ways.

The first is as a generic tag for any LS motor. So you would already have an LSX in that scenario since you have an LS1.

The other way is in reference to an actual LSX crate motor. In that scenario it's the LSX block that you need so having an LS1 just means you have the accessories and now have to buy the engine.
Usually, in my experience, they distinguish that as LSx for any LS- motor (x being a variable) and the LSX block having a capital X.
Old 05-22-2019 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Modifying your ls1 won't make it a lsx, it will just be a modified ls1.
Old 05-22-2019 | 02:32 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure the LSX motors are cast iron as well.
Old 05-23-2019 | 10:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the information. I normally just do 6.0 Swaps but decided on going 5.7 LSX route.
Old 05-23-2019 | 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Call Texas Speed they will build you whatever your pocket book will stand..
Texas speed told me the other day that they can no longer send their products to the State of California. I was like damnn. California has strict laws when it come down to modification on the vehicle especially when it from Texas Speed so sad.
Old 05-24-2019 | 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS Brodie
Texas speed told me the other day that they can no longer send their products to the State of California. I was like damnn. California has strict laws when it come down to modification on the vehicle especially when it from Texas Speed so sad.
If I remember correctly Speed Engineering , a California based company, can't sell in California either. You guys need to rein in CARB or they will pretty much shut down your state in a few years. Ask some of the Trucking Companies what they have done to them.....Bureaucracy gone mad
Old 05-24-2019 | 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Your best bet, since you live in California, is to buy a GM "E-Rod" crate motor that already has a CARB approval number. I think the E-Rod motor is built around the specs of an LS3 and this will keep you from needing to referee things with the state so much.

But I'd still seek the advice from somebody around here for all of the other things the E-Rod will need - catalytic converters, charcoal canister for fuel fumes, PCV, proper PCM tune, correct VIN inside the tune, proper transmission, maybe a smog air pump - it all has to be visible and functional. I'm sure I'm forgetting something or the above advice is slightly wrong. This will not be easy but . . . . do-able. The trick for you will be getting it done quickly, least expensively and not waste effort, time or dollars.

Get with a CARB referee first before you spend the first nickle on this project so that you know what their goal posts look like for you. And so they can't move the goal posts on you after the game gets started.

https://jagsthatrun.com/pages/dont-w...rnia-smog-laws

Rick

Last edited by B52bombardier1; 05-24-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2019 | 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

The laws change faster than I can keep up with, but I recall that all the emissions equipment must match the original equipment for the vehicle and the engine must be a newer year and from the same class of car. There was talk of making the emissions equipment match the new engines original configuration, but I don't know if that ever passed.
Old 05-24-2019 | 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Engine and transmission must be newer year and must be from an automobile if you are swapping into an automobile. In other words, the Bureau of Automotive Repair / California Air Resources Board won't let you swap in an engine/trans from a heavy duty truck because it is likely that the engine/trans combo from the truck had lower emission standards from the factory.

Rick