Sponsored by:

Help me spend some money :D

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I've also been looking at the pacesetters- there a good deal for under 400$
my question is what makes other headers such as QTP or KOOKS so much better that they cost almost twice as much like 750-800$.

-Stuart
The biggest difference is Kooks and QTP use stainless steel which is a more expensive material and harder to work with than mild steel but they will never rust. You will probably get a few more ponies out of the Kooks/QTP design than the pacesetters and I know the old pacesetters had fitment issues where you had to grind down certain parts to get them to fit.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emanneercstahp
yea ive been looking into some pacestters, but i have a question.... what would be the benefits if they were coated/noncoated, do i need or want them coated or what?
for the price i would go ahead and get coated, they look better and are more resistant to rust and the other elements while providing a heat barrier that will keep your engine bay a little cooler. but if you dont live in a damp part of the country where it rains or snow often you could probible get away with uncoated headers.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
for the price i would go ahead and get coated, they look better and are more resistant to rust and the other elements while providing a heat barrier that will keep your engine bay a little cooler. but if you dont live in a damp part of the country where it rains or snow often you could probible get away with uncoated headers.

oic thx.. i shall look into it, oh yea i have a bud that is good at installing.. but does not have a welding equipment... is there just a bolt on pacesetter?? or would i need to take them to my local exhaust shop? oh and would i need to get a special Y or "joiner" on my existing setup.. juss the american thunder flowmaster system piping?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emanneercstahp
oic thx.. i shall look into it, oh yea i have a bud that is good at installing.. but does not have a welding equipment... is there just a bolt on pacesetter?? or would i need to take them to my local exhaust shop? oh and would i need to get a special Y or "joiner" on my existing setup.. juss the american thunder flowmaster system piping?
Headers do not need welded on. Poor . You should be able to bolt up the entire exhaust from header, to Y-pipe, to cat-back. Only thing is that you have to be sure and ahve a Y-pipe made to fit your specific headers as different headers have their primaries at slightly different locations/angles. However, any and all Y-pipes should line right up with any and all cat-backs as far as I know. BTW: don't know if anyone has said this yet, but the american thunder flowcrapper system is known to sound very nice but be rather restrictive. I'd look into a different cat-back or cut-out.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

Go with the headers,,, dont worry about spending 900 on kooks etc,, yes they will last 10 years and give you 5 more HP,, but who cares when you can get 90% of the performance increase for 1/2 the price

And headers should improve your mileage with a tune,,, the engine runs more efficent.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can take that 500 bucks and spend it a million diff ways.

Id suggest either Headers and ORYP
or...
Ported and polished TB/and or suspension mods.

These would be the two things id consider. I guess its all about what your ambishions (sp?) are.

Goodluck