Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which y pipe catted or off road

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which y pipe catted or off road

Hey guys just got 1”3/4 speed engineering longtubes and didn’t know what’s the best y pipe for power and less drone . Should I get catted y pipe or just go with off road which I was going to pick for the price . And how much hp will I have after the headers are on ? I have all the free mods done and a cold air intake from k&n it’s a high ram and I got the slp bellows and flowmaster catback thanks . Getting a dyno tune as well
Old 12-27-2019, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z28ls11230
Hey guys just got 1”3/4 speed engineering longtubes and didn’t know what’s the best y pipe for power and less drone . Should I get catted y pipe or just go with off road...
There is no one answer between these, as your two desires are mutually exclusive in this case. An ORY will give best power, but the catted Y will have less "drone" (less rasp actually - drone has more to do with muffler selection). So you have to pick a priority.

With that said, there is an alternate 3rd option. You could get an ORY and then add small bullet mufflers to the Y-pipe (in the cat location) to drastically reduce the rasp that is associated with a typical ORY. These straight through bullet mufflers won't impede flow, so it's a good choice for both goals. The only downside is the slight added cost (vs. ORY alone) plus the hassle of welding them in.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot that helps and I think I’m just gonna go with the ory for now and see what that brings and if I have any isssues I’ll weld the bullets in thanks . How much hp do you think I’ll have with a dyno tune and the longtubes with the high ram cold air intake and free mods ? Thanks

Quick Reply: Which y pipe catted or off road