New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won’t idle but starts up LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020 | 10:52 AM
Teching In

Default Won’t idle but starts up LS1

Hey guys I recently just put on longtube headers ,new plug wires and plugs . When I start my car it wants to run but it seems like something is shutting it off I can’t understand why. I’m waiting for the y pipe to come in and yes the o2 sensors are plugged in . The air pump is deleted on the car and the egr as well it wants to start and runs but it shuts off after a second . The rear o2s aren’t plugged in due to no y pipe right now , can anyone help ?
Old 01-10-2020 | 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Have you checked to see if there any codes?

will it run if you give it some throttle?
Old 01-10-2020 | 02:02 PM
Teching In

Yes it runs now and it will go if I give it throttle but since the longtube headers and y pipe have been installed it is less responsive but is running on all 8 . Maybe I just need a tune ? Seems to be running very rich . I have a cold air intake ,ported mass air flow and ported throttle body along with air deleted and egr . Thanks just makes me curious
Old 01-10-2020 | 02:02 PM
Teching In

Cats are deleted as well and all o2 sensors are plugged in
Old 01-10-2020 | 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran long tube headers for years without a tune without a problem. It did feel like the power band shifted up (less torquey at the bottom, but a decent power gain up top), but nothing like you are describing. I've heard horror stories about messing with the MAF in any kind of way, but if it ran fine before ported like that, I don't imagine that would cause the problem now. Cold Air Intakes let a lot more dirt in, and the oil from the filter can get all nasty on your MAF, too. Have you tried cleaning the crap out of your MAF with a spray (or RPM on here always recommends a Q-Tip with rubbing alcohol)?
Old 01-11-2020 | 10:37 AM
Teching In

I haven’t tried cleaning it yet but I sure will and yes just like it’s boggy and no response in the beginning and it always use to have response in power before I added the headers . The car ran great with no screen in the mass air flow ported tb and ported maf but once I added headers deleted cats and deleted air pump and egr she just don’t have the acceleration she used too , very rich but doesn’t burn oil . Gonna tune it in March I will keep you guys posted . Any input well appreciated thanks

Quick Reply: Won’t idle but starts up LS1