Sponsored by:

Question: Crank Timing Gear Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question: Crank Timing Gear Install

Hello,

When installing the timing gear on the crank, how far on does it go? Does it bottom out or is there a clearance I need to measure behind it with a feeler gauge?

I've been searching all over and can't seem to find an answer, everything I find just says to push it on but not how far.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

All the way on. You'll see on the back side of it there is a rounded edge that will match up with the end of the crank. I just installed one on mine.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drdave88
All the way on. You'll see on the back side of it there is a rounded edge that will match up with the end of the crank. I just installed one on mine.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I put it all of the way on and then found out I had to pull it back for some reason.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my old crankshaft timing gear to hammer the new one on. You could hear a definite change in the sound of me hammering it on when the new timing gear bottomed out. Instead of using a hammer you can also use your old crank sprocket and the old crank bolt. The crank bolt's head should be wide enough to press the new crank on evenly and smoothly.

Quick Reply: Question: Crank Timing Gear Install