Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by skytower31
If I were to get one, it would ONLY be GM Extended Warranty with NO deductible.

thats what i did and it paid for itself a few times over.

i was mildly modded and my dealer didnt hastle me.

my DS broke.GM roadside had a flatbed out in less than 30 minutes after i called and hooked me up with a loaner for a week covered under GMPP.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

allstate has a good extended warranty, we used to accept alot of warranties when i used to own my shop and they were the best. it also really depends on if you can work on your car yourself. abs, a/c, trans, windows, driveablity problems etc. are extremely expensive these days if you have to pay someone to diagnose/repair it.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Purchase?

I recommend the GMPP. While I'm not impressed with the GM Product, the $3,000 Dollar 100,000mi. / No Deductible Service Contract has saved me Thousands $$$$ in unwanted repairs. While GM Proper has balked at LS-1 piston slap concerns by it's customers and other products weaknesses, GMPP has replaced most part failures on my vehicle.

My Failures are numerous on My 2002 Camaro SS, with what I would call, "Normal" Use, meaning street only use, no drag racing, or track use.

Part Failures Include:

4 Flexplate Failures. Stemming from a lightened Flexplate introduced around 2000 year model. The Failure may occur at the Cranshaft Bolt Pattern, or on the outer perimeter from starter engagement.

"Flexplate - This part Should Be Safety Recalled!"

The problem was not resolved until I demanded that the Flexplate be replaced with an SPI Drag Racing Approved Plate. Because I refused to accept another GM Provided Flexplate - I was forced to pay for the New SPI Part and Labor of its installation.

Pressure from the flex of the sub-standard GM Flexplates also led to the destruction 2 Automatic Transmissions, 1 Drive line, 1 Ten Bolt Rearend.

All Replaced under GM or GMPP.

Other weak areas:

Front Torsion Bar Mount: Shatter into 4 pieces. Appears to be under engineered for stress load, and may be over tempered. I paid for.

Factory Rear Ladder Bar / Rearend Control Arm: Bolt flanges ripped out and allowed severe mis-alignment of the entire rearend assembly. GMPP paid for.

1 LS-1: No.# 7 Piston Failure at 77,000mi., Appears to be run lean?, or Piston Skirt Failure
Related?

Metal also found in pan - Expert would have to examine for final determination. Although, I must say that shop Manager became quite upset when he found me in the shop taking pictures of the failed engine.

GM - Takes back all parts replaced under warranty, and probably doesn't like failed parts being examined.

GMPP - Agreed to replace the LS-1 with a new longblock assembly.

Total warranty repairs to this vehicle? Approxiamately $30,000

Another good option for you: Your GMPP does not have to be paid for in one lump sum. You can make a down payment, and make monthly payments for 12 months, with no interest penalty.

I Recommend it!

Last edited by sstv; 07-17-2004 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of extended warranties. I'm not a fan of regular warranties. The standard flat rate tech in a dealership is not looking for a good repair. If your car can last another month, you can bring it back for another flat rate warranty repair. The whole unit replacement practice is not a good one either. If something is wrong with my car, I fix it. Most of the money for car repair is in the labor. It costs less in the long run. If there is something I really can't find (very rare), I'll show up at a reapir center with just the part I'm fising. Seriously, I've pulled up to the Chevy dealer down the street with a Camaro rear end in the back of my wife's truck. Talk about some looks!