Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 z28

New here

I’ve got a question to see what’s going on with this car of mine. It started misfiring about a week and a half ago, by now, I’ve already changed the spark plugs, wires, and the coils. I’ve had a friend tell me to check the timing chain? As I drive everything seems fine, when I let off the gas, my rpms drop like crazy. Not to mention that it recently started throwing white smoke. Any recommendations on what to check next?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No codes? Try cleaning your MAF sensor. That made mine misfire like garbage when it got too dirty.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled off my valve covers, and saw that I had 3 bent, and 2 broken pushrods, things a mess. Taking it all apart at the moment. There was coolant in the heads and what not. The previous owner probably overheated it?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LSJuan99
I pulled off my valve covers, and saw that I had 3 bent, and 2 broken pushrods, things a mess. Taking it all apart at the moment. There was coolant in the heads and what not. The previous owner probably overheated it?
Sure sounds like it. White smoke is a tell-tale sign of coolant in the combustion chamber. The damage to the valvetrain could indicate severe warpage and/or cracking of the heads due to the overheating. Like if a head gasket blew and he kept driving it.

Quick Reply: 1999 z28