Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Camaro SS - new to me

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by archertp
Don't use Dexcool coolant flush or Dexcool coolant?

For the rear diff...the codes on the door are GU6 and G80...axle ratio of 3.42 with positraction, limited slip. I called SLP and had them run the VIN; they told me that the car has the Torsen or Torsion rear axle...not sure what that means and no explanation given...she just said "its not the Auburn"...??? I was originally just going to put Royal Purple MAXGEAR 75W-90 in the rear diff, but after some reading I am seriously confused. Guys talking about synthetics vs conventional plus an additive...any help here would be greatly appreciated.

If you change the coolant don't use Dexcool coolant, it eats gaskets.
You can flush the system with Prestone Super flush or something similar if you want. Probably not necessary with such low miles though. I changed the coolant in my camaro this year; I simply drained it and filled with Gold Universal.

75w-90 synthetic for the rear diff any brand will work.
The following users liked this post:
archertp (04-20-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't use Dexcool coolant flush or Dexcool coolant?

For the rear diff...the codes on the door are GU6 and G80...axle ratio of 3.42 with positraction, limited slip. I called SLP and had them run the VIN; they told me that the car has the Torsen or Torsion rear axle...not sure what that means and no explanation given...she just said "its not the Auburn"...??? I was originally just going to put Royal Purple MAXGEAR 75W-90 in the rear diff, but after some reading I am seriously confused. Guys talking about synthetics vs conventional plus an additive...any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Torsen is just a shortened word for Torque Sensing. It is probably also a brand name, but that is what it means. An Auburn rear end has a sort of clutch plates inside and requires the additive to eliminate shuddering. Torsen has a little paddle that applies torque to whichever wheel needs it and does not require the additive. Many or most rear end fluids come with the additive in it already, but you don't need it and certainly do not need to worry about and extra additive.
archertp (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

And there are many opinions on Dexcool. The main thing is to not mix the orange Dexcool with the regular green stuff. Flushing it out is time consuming and not really needed. But if you want to do it, go ahead. Just a regular change with any of the Dexcool compatible fluids out there will be just fine.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Great looking ride! You didn't specify if it was an auto or 6 spd car and since it sounds like you gravitate towards Royal Purple, I'm compelled to warn you against using Royal Purple in the trans. The 6spd trans requires Dexron III ATF. The use of RP syncromax in the T-56 has been widely discussed and the general opinion is that RP Syncromax is not compatible with the factory paper liner blocker rings in the trans. At 18,000 miles, I would expect the trans to be all original and I would hate for you to have any trouble with such a nice low mile SS... In my favorite color no less!
archertp (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Great looking ride! You didn't specify if it was an auto or 6 spd car and since it sounds like you gravitate towards Royal Purple, I'm compelled to warn you against using Royal Purple in the trans. The 6spd trans requires Dexron III ATF. The use of RP syncromax in the T-56 has been widely discussed and the general opinion is that RP Syncromax is not compatible with the factory paper liner blocker rings in the trans. At 18,000 miles, I would expect the trans to be all original and I would hate for you to have any trouble with such a nice low mile SS... In my favorite color no less!
10-4, thanks! It's a 6-speed manual trans. I'll remember that about the RP trans fluid. Typically I stick to OEM fluids for transmissions because of experience...2 transmissions in 6k miles in a F150 due to a "better" fluid, that hurt.

Trans and motor are both original. Man these engines sound great compared to newer cars. Been wanting this exact car for 20 years and it was worth the wait!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 423 Likes on 307 Posts

10-4, thanks! It's a 6-speed manual trans. I'll remember that about the RP trans fluid. Typically I stick to OEM fluids for transmissions because of experience...2 transmissions in 6k miles in a F150 due to a "better" fluid, that hurt.

Trans and motor are both original. Man these engines sound great compared to newer cars. Been wanting this exact car for 20 years and it was worth the wait!
Dont use the fancy oils. Run penzoil syn 5w30 and Castrol dex/Merc and call it good.

Wix makes good filters. I use the k&n 1007 because it's easier to take off due to the headers. It's actually very convenient.
archertp (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Beautiful car sir
archertp (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Nothing wrong with Dexcool in an LS1 application. It does not eat gaskets on these engines and won't cause any inherent problems unless the cooling system is poorly maintained. My '98 has had nothing but Dexcool (properly maintained) for the last 22 years and every single cooling system component is still original and in fine working condition with no leaks.

Problems with Dexcool will arise from excessive air in the system (unchecked leaks), coolant allowed to remain past it's service life, incompatible mixing of coolant and/or contamination (such as a failed PS cooler).

There are some engines from the early years of Dexcool which had inherent problems with gasket compatibility, but the LS1 was NOT one of them.
The following 3 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
01CamaroSSTx (04-24-2020), archertp (04-24-2020), RevGTO (04-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS - new to me