Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

218k KMS 1998 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 218k KMS 1998 Camaro SS

I got a Camaro SS 1998 has a head gasket leak and the oil has mixed into the Coolant. Looking for advice if I should stick with this motor and get head gasket replaced and hope there arent other issues. I was looking to do Heads, Cam, Longtube Headers, and exhaust. Please let me know what the best option would be! Also If you do suggest getting it repaired since I am doing Heads and Cam on it anyways. List of parts that I should replace and whatever work that you would think to replace.

Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2020, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Couple of questions.

Are you sure it is a blown head gasket and oil in the coolant? Does it also have coolant in the oil? Does the car have a power steering cooler?

The reason I ask is that some of these cars, mine does, has the power steering cooler in line with the radiator hose and they can go bad and mix the power steering fluid and coolant.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine melt down

Originally Posted by ghardester
Couple of questions.

Are you sure it is a blown head gasket and oil in the coolant? Does it also have coolant in the oil? Does the car have a power steering cooler?

The reason I ask is that some of these cars, mine does, has the power steering cooler in line with the radiator hose and they can go bad and mix the power steering fluid and coolant.

My car seems to have a partial head gasket leak because it doesn’t have oil in the Anti-freeze but it has fumes and heat coming out of the radiator so fast and so quick the return line has not even hit 80° yet before it’s reading almost red line
no power in sixth gear at all partial power loss in all other gears 6 speed. It’s red lines in about a minute and a half from a cold start it will start right up but just heat up just a quick and I swapped out the fans swapped out how this swapped out the radiator

I forgot I am a complete novice at small engines I was Marine CH-53 helicopter mechanic and crew chiefWork on a turbofan jet engineBut smaller engines your ticket times so I need any information that anybody can offer

Last edited by Aero96LS1; 05-06-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add on

Quick Reply: 218k KMS 1998 Camaro SS