Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi Junkyard LQ4 e30 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi Junkyard LQ4 e30 build

Hello all,

I am generally new to the world of LS's and the associated terminology but have been doing some research the past few days so please bear with me as I write this post.
----cleaning and refresh
I have pulled a junkyard 6.0 LQ4 out of 2004 Yukon that was running. As you all know this is the iron block with 317 cathedral ports. The engine smoked slightly when it ran. After pulling the motor and bringing it inside I pulled the heads to inspect the valves and cylinder walls, and saw no intimidate damage. this motor had 300K odd miles on it when pulled. The only concerning aspect of the engine is that the coolant passages way have a considerable amount of rust in them. In order to take care of the rust I plan on removing the rotating assembly and having the block hot tanked. In addition to cleaning the block, I plan on buying new connecting rod, piston rings, crank, and cam bearings for the engine as well as a new timing chain. As a final stage of the refresh of the motor I am of course going to buy all new gaskets and use head studs when rebuilding.
----modifications
As for performance upgrades I planned on using refurbished 799 heads that I have been reading will bump the compression up to around 10.5:1, which sets it up for the sloppy stage 2 cam that everyone seems to enjoy (duration @ 0.05": 228/230, LSA:112). I also plan on using aftermarket dual spring kit in order to safely allow the engine to rev to 7K (setting the redline to about 6.9K). Because of the car I am putting the engine into I do have some space restraints. because of this I am going to be using high flow shorty headers with a JEGS ls1/l s2/ls6 (part #: 555-513050). From these combination of part sand research I believe I should expect to make around 500 HP at the crank, which leads me to believe that I need to have Injectors, which i believe 33Lbs injector will give me the fueling I need. In addition I have a megasquirt stand alone tunable ECU.
----accessories
I do not plan on using the power steering pump and the AC compressor on this build. due to space constraints I would like to use a ls1 water pump to save space around the intake. I believe I have to use a ls1 main pulley so that the belts line up. Also I would like to use a low mount alternator in order save more space by the intake.
----questions
This is where my questions begin:
Is this the correct intake I have listed above?
What springs will work for this particular application?
With the 799 heads I am looking at buying, the heads come with rockers and springs, am I replacing the springs, but am I able to use the stock LQ4 pushrods I pulled from the old engine with this cam?
What bearing kit/ studs would be recommended?
what tensioner pulleys do I need to change out on order to make sure they are compatible with the ls1 water pump?
will i have to use two different belts for the water pump and alternator?

Thank you for reading this post I would greatly appreciate any answers to this post that you may have or think of anything I have not considered.

Quick Reply: Semi Junkyard LQ4 e30 build