Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strahley
This is a no brainer

The LS1 was made by God, the LT1 was not
lol.... made me laught (in a good way of course)... lol
Old 07-18-2004, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

this is the dumbest arguement that exists and everyone is biased. I think someone has to start it up every week for these boards to exist.

I have both and based on stock to stock, the LT1 was more fun to drive but the LS1 can be tamer and then just turn into a monster. They are both great engines and not drastically different. LT1s are much cheaper to buy and modify so they are gonna win bang for the buck arguement every time RIGHT NOW-this may not be true in 5 to 10 years.

I love both my cars, the LS1 is a nicer car but my LT1 is so much more fun (and has a lot more blood, sweat, and tears in it).
Old 07-18-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well said..

I like the front of the LS1 f cars better so if I had a car that was'nt going to get gutted and tubed I'd buy one..

I'll just have to settle for a VNF glass front that looks like that..

There are some issues with the LS1's that are probably just teething issues.

Custom cranks having reluctor wheels come loose... etc.... Eventually the aftermarket will have them as figured out as the GenI.... The LT1 is so similar to the Gen1 that they did'nt have too much to figure out...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

one thing that's great about LS1s that I forgot to mention is NO OPTISPARK! I hate that part on my LT1.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rdavis93
one thing that's great about LS1s that I forgot to mention is NO OPTISPARK! I hate that part on my LT1.
Optispark = If your optimistic you might see a reliable spark

Yes thats when a little aftermarket gadgetry and LS1 coil packs and wires come in handy...

I have seen LS1 coils on a DSM believe it or not..

I'll be running LS1 coils probably fired by something FAST EDIST which gets its cues from crank and cam triggers... More accuracy than the LS1 system.

Then you can plug the front cover maybespark hole.... then run any SBC roller cam grind off the shelf because you dont need the dist drive anymore..

I just need to find a LT1 gear drive timing set if it exists...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

...ls1!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and really I think there's no comparison, everything that was wrong with the LT1 was fixed with the LS1. Hey, I've never had my intake leak, my opti go bad or my faulty air pump quit working on my LS1.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Seeing how this is an LS1 site I hope I dont step on any toes, but Im going to argue for the LT1 side.

The aftermarket is a whole lot cheaper for the LT1(thanks to its SBC design). For the price of a forged LS1 crank, you can buy a completed forged rotating assembly and still have money left over for a cam, etc. Granted the LS1 has much better heads from the factory, the aftermarket evens or exceeds the capabilities of the LSX heads(AFR, ARAO). Not to mention the fact sbc heads(brodix, etc.) will bolt right up to the LT1(but have to be converted to reverse flow cooling).Most importantly, thanks to the LT1 being iron, it holds up to forced induction much better. I wont really get into the arguement of reliability(although mine does have over 152,000 miles and doesnt burn a drop of oil).

Both have their advantages. Ill admit, you can't go wrong with a 400+rwhp Cam/Longtube LS1. You dont have to worry about optispark,and the 98-02 f-body seems to be more reliable overall. But for the time being Im sticking with the LT1.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I miss about my LT1 is the fact that you could throw any exhaust you want at it and it would sound great. I thought my gmmg sounded good til I heard one on an LT1
Old 07-18-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tell him... LS1 MOTHER ******!!! (then punch him in the face for being a dumbass)
Old 07-18-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
For the price of a forged LS1 crank, you can buy a completed forged rotating assembly and still have money left over for a cam, etc.
Yeah but with the LS1 most people don't need a forged crank. The stocker will get you to at least 500-600hp no problem.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AGREED!

We dont need to replace our cranks like the LT1's. So forget that cmcept "meangreen94z"

LS1 BITCH!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:56 AM
11 Second Club

LS1.. I've owned both.. Although the LT1 isn't a bad platform.. I did have all of the above problems. Water Pump, Opti, Intake Leak, etc.

My LS1 makes loads more power much cheaper (cam and boltons). Plugs/wires are easier, etc. When I had my LT1.. everytime I modded something, I spent just as much money fixing ****.

I also get better gas milage, and the drivability is damn near stock with a larger cam other than the pedal pressure on my clutch Fast ramp rates will do that for ya.

If I were to start from scratch building an all out effort race car though, LT1 would probably be cheaper/easier. I think with a few more years of experience though, the ls1 will ultimately prevail. Iron block ls1s are also an option for those worried about block strength. Hopefully the head lifting problem will be solved in the next year or two as FI setups become more common.

Peace,
Josh
Old 07-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by futurefbodyownr
Yeah but with the LS1 most people don't need a forged crank. The stocker will get you to at least 500-600hp no problem.
Originally Posted by Mooleyz28

AGREED!

We dont need to replace our cranks like the LT1's. So forget that cmcept "meangreen94z"

LS1 BITCH!!!
I didnt say the LT1 crank wasnt capable. Jason Warrens car dynoed over 700rwhp and ran best of 9.58 on a stock crank

http://www.exit22.org/warren.html

Of course when you have a block capable of withstanding 1000rwhp like the LT1 , you'll need that forged crank.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

I think it can handle more than that with billet splayed caps, oring job on block and heads, arp studs and a minimal overbore... or atleast I'm going to find out..
Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

or why not just get a 6.0L block and the ls1 still kicks the **** out of the lt1.....there's a reason they moved FORWARD and designed the ls1.....cuz its BETTER....don't you think if the lt1 proved more reliable, efficient, and stronger, they would have reverted towards the lt1 a little when they made the ls2? no, instead they took lessons learned(as there always will be) from the ls1 and improved it. God didn't design the LS1, but I'm pretty sure if you ask, God would endorse it.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Launching!

I really don't see why people even start this ****. Everyone knows what's going to happen before they even read it. Because this is LS1 tech everyone is going to say the Ls1. Both has good and bad things about them so leave it at that. Peace
Old 07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have both, 94 6 speed and 01 6 speed. Both are great cars! The LT1 runs great, but the LS1 has a much better top end. Both cars run about the same in the 1/8, but the LS1 walks away from it on the top end of the strip.

I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about Optisparks on the LS1, but then again, never had to worry about piston slap on the LT1. Both great cars, both worth owning and driving hard.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
or why not just get a 6.0L block and the ls1 still kicks the **** out of the lt1.....there's a reason they moved FORWARD and designed the ls1.....cuz its BETTER....don't you think if the lt1 proved more reliable, efficient, and stronger, they would have reverted towards the lt1 a little when they made the ls2? no, instead they took lessons learned(as there always will be) from the ls1 and improved it. God didn't design the LS1, but I'm pretty sure if you ask, God would endorse it.
Correct me if Im wrong but from what I've heard the LQ9 like the LS1 has head lifting issues.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
Correct me if Im wrong but from what I've heard the LQ9 like the LS1 has head lifting issues.
Never said the LQ9 was issue free. But if I was going to swap out a 6.0L block, then I would be doing so b/c of boost. I'd be replacing just about every bolt that holds something to the block that encounters pressure from the motor, with ARP high-end bolts. Also, ff you're gonna run 20-30# of boost, then yea, you're definitely inclined eventually gonna pop a head unless you had God torque it down.

BTW, I haven't heard of many people lifting a head w/o some serious boost. Correct me if I am wrong, and I will glad admit my error.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LT1