Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chpbstrd’s Way to Mount a Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Chpbstrd’s Way to Mount a Block

As I get older, I get weaker but wiser. My foray into the LS world starts with picking up this pig of an iron block, lq4 for $250. Provenance unknown, but the bores look decent and it spun relatively easily.

I was going to haggle the guy down to $200, but I thought I was cheap enough. We got this pig into the car and I had to unload it by myself. I went ahead and mounted the engine stand plate to the bellhousing with M10x1.5 90mm bolts with washers making sure to align the bore with the crank. All the experience with picking up fat chicks as a younger man helped a lot. I looked around and did not see really any good places to insert a big bolt so I went to Home Depot and got some M8x1.25 70 mm bolts and cheap turnbuckles. Removed the hook and eye and inserted the M8. Put one fore and aft on the valley cover and lifted. One turnbuckle failed. I went and got a sturdier ones rated at 350 lbs each. The one that failed was rated to 215.

As you can see, I replaced the lifting points with the original bolt and they went in just fine, no distortion of the threads. I really like using old seat belts to lift as they are cheap and very adjustable.
I am having second thoughts about using a truck block, so damn heavy sitting a the front of the vehicle. Oh well, you can only choose two of the following: fast, light, cheap. Guess which ones Chpbstrd is going to choose.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

That Tag on the block 12491357 indicates its a GM Re-man. So its likely .020 over already.
The date code 09/23/2010 is when it was done and the other number 40019274 is likely a serial number so it can be tracked for warranty purposes.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is even better. At least it was refreshed by GM 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Chpbstrd’s Way to Mount a Block