Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking ls1...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question smoking ls1...

Hi, I've had my 99 firebird for nearly two years. I don't drive it much but just now getting to a place where I can pay some attention to it and spend a little cash getting it where I want it. The problem is it smokes, not terribly bad but too much in my opinion! I want to upload a video but I can't figure out how to do it so to give you an idea of what it looks like. The car is strong, always have been since I purchased it. Dude I picked it up from said it had a tune, long tube headers gmHot cam and some other stuff. No cat, straight pipe with slp loudmouth exhaust, "too loud for me" will change it soon. So, will a bad tune cause such smoke? I hope it's not valve seats or something worse. Just asking. I know it can be a host of things but I'm really hoping for a bad tune. If someone can tell me how to load a video I'll plug one in.

I love this car!
Old 11-06-2020, 12:26 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

It's extremely unlikely that a tune would cause a bunch of smoke from the exhaust, unless it was super pig rich - unless the tuner was even completely incompetent. Much more likely is a misfire, or if not, a valvetrain or internal engine issue. I would start by putting a scanner on it, then if not, pulling the valve covers and inspecting the valvetrain.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Like RevGTO said, pull the valve covers and see if any of the valve seals have migrated up from the head. You could also perform a cylinder leak-down test. That will tell you if the rings and valves are sealing.

Quick Reply: smoking ls1...