New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fbody steering column issues.....running out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fbody steering column issues.....running out of ideas

this will be a long post I will try to be brief.
I purchased a 99 fbody m6 camaro, the steering column was loose and upon inspection the turn signal selector switch and upper tilt ball bearings were mangled.
I replaced the parts on to have it grenade on me later afterwards i replaced the column pins with oversized column pins also tightening the 4 bolts of the steering column as well as the upper tilt ball bearing the outer and inner race seat and ignition switch. The steering wheel still wobbles this time not from the column but the steering shift itself, and my ignition switch is free floating the second I turn the key it becomes very lose.
please any ideas would be gratgrateful im about to end up purchasing a new column but don't want to go that far. (Not worried about vats I have the ignition ran to my starter solenoid bypassing my clutch and vats)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I just replaced my column on my 99. After spending 3 days in my marina parking lot ripping it apart. My lock cylinder acted like yours which at first pointed to the ignition switch. What it ultimately ended up being was the actuator rod that goes from key down to actual ignition switch.
it was all boogered up so a column swap was in order.
I got a good non wobbly unit for $150 off eBay from a junkyard.

Quick Reply: fbody steering column issues.....running out of ideas