Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the diff btw Z28 and SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
The SS is the "rice" version of the f-body with its ornimental trim including mean hood,tall spoiler and bling bling wheels.Unsuspecting buyers paying the exorbitant $3600.00 mark-up could buy ad ons that would prove near usless in a performance
advantage and increase SLP profits.Street wise peeps bought the Z/28s that were less conspicious and 9 times out of 10 were faster.

Funny,these are the people that end up adding the hood and spoiler at later dates,to make their's look like the "riced out" SS.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 AM
pmh
On The Tree

I own a z/28, but would have bought a SS in a heartbeat if I could have. And yes, I'd like to get a SS hood and spoiler for mine. I don't believe they qualify for "rice" at all.

Oh yeah....Bud794... I hope you promptly beat the snot out of the guy who wrecked that Z......

pmh
Old 07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

To each his own I guess.
I just bought a 2001 SS, SLP car.
Having owned 2 f-bodies in the past, for me the Z/28 was not even an option. The 2 are bascially the same car when you come right down to it but, and no offense to any Z owners, IMO they are a dime a dozen. The SS stands out and bottom line it is a special edition car, Maybe as you get older you learn to appreciate things like this in cars. I personally would have spent the extra $3600 at the dealer.
While the SLP packages are not a huge deal I think they are nice.
As it turned out I ended up with one which was an added bonus IMO. It came with a lid, exhaust, chrome ZR1 style wheels. Not a big deal by any means just less parts I needed to buy.
I didn't think I would be impressed by a 4th gen after my previous car which was a 94 Corvette but I actually enjoy this car more already and I have only owned it for less than a week.
Like I said to each his own.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually glad that I didn't spend the extra money on the SS package like I originally wanted to... I bought my car for $24,300 brand new, although I almost bought a pewter SS that they had on the lot for $30,500. I've now spent almost $6k in mods on my car to bring me up to what I would have spent on the SS, except now my car is FAR faster than that SS would have been for the same $30k.

Sure my car doesn't have the hood or the spoiler, but I like the fact that it doesn't look any different from any other '98+ Camaro... until I start it up, that is.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
To each his own I guess.
I just bought a 2001 SS, SLP car.
Having owned 2 f-bodies in the past, for me the Z/28 was not even an option. The 2 are bascially the same car when you come right down to it but, and no offense to any Z owners, IMO they are a dime a dozen. The SS stands out and bottom line it is a special edition car, Maybe as you get older you learn to appreciate things like this in cars. I personally would have spent the extra $3600 at the dealer.
While the SLP packages are not a huge deal I think they are nice.
As it turned out I ended up with one which was an added bonus IMO. It came with a lid, exhaust, chrome ZR1 style wheels. Not a big deal by any means just less parts I needed to buy.
I didn't think I would be impressed by a 4th gen after my previous car which was a 94 Corvette but I actually enjoy this car more already and I have only owned it for less than a week.
Like I said to each his own.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
and no offense to any Z owners, IMO they are a dime a dozen.
Actually... there were more SS's sold than Z28's in 02. I think if you are into the whole "it's a SLP car", then ignorance is bliss

Seriously, SLP stuff is so over rated, and the only thing I hate about my SS is that it came from SLP, and not Chevrolet. The only reason I wanted a SS was because of the heritage of the SS badge. That's it... well, I like the way they look too!

Seriously though, I don't think of a Z28 as lesser of a vehicle. I had a 2001 Z28 before I got my SS, so i've seen both sides. The only difference besides the look is how they hook up. With those junk 245/50 tires, my Z was all over the place. The 275's on my SS make a huge difference... for me anyway. That's the only way I feel a SS could be faster. From a roll, then I don't see how it will matter. It's not like the stock SS exhaust flows that great anyway... and it's not like that ram air think isn't a bunch of hype either.

Again, I only wanted a SS because it has the SS badge. That's it. Otherwise, it's just like any other LS1.
(I probably paid less for my SS than you guys did for a comparable Z28 though )
Old 07-21-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing on the inside, the hood/spoiler/badges on the out. Whoever can drive better will have the "faster car"
Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Hey guys,I was joking.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Where I live I see Z28s everyday but only see SSs once or twice a week. The fact that it has SS badges on it does something mentally to people. Other than that a Z28 and an SS are the exact same car. Except mine of course.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Z28 vs SS

The driver will make the difference in a race stock for stock..I like the clean look of the Z28 over the ss...not much for fake hood scoops and the like..but 2 each his own..just my 2 cents...
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The driver will make the difference in a race stock for stock..I like the clean look of the Z28 over the ss...not much for fake hood scoops and the like..but 2 each his own..just my 2 cents...

Plus basically you are a cheap MF
Old 07-21-2004, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Well the hood is functional, but more of a cosmetic than a great functional design. I think this guy got his answers, now it is off topic.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I didn't get my Z28 because I was cheap. I too, like the clean looks of the Z28 over the SS. That and "Z28" always says Camaro, "SS" can be one of many vehicles. I like being "original"
Old 07-21-2004, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strahley
I didn't get my Z28 because I was cheap. I too, like the clean looks of the Z28 over the SS. That and "Z28" always says Camaro, "SS" can be one of many vehicles. I like being "original"
Very very very very good point man. The SS's heritage has also been destroyed in modern day too. It once meant performance, now it means a supercarged FWD V6!!!! F you chevy, that is no SS!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

That is a very very good point. You can just say "Z28" and people know what you mean.............."SS" could mean anything, including a 3.8L slow as **** monte carlo

This thread just keep going, huh?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:06 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
That is a very very good point. You can just say "Z28" and people know what you mean.............."SS" could mean anything, including a 3.8L slow as **** monte carlo
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. When people ask what I drive, I always say "a Camaro SS". I think that's dragging it out though. I used to say "a Z28" when I had my other car... but then again I said "Mustang GT" when I had that, and "IROC" when I had that. Just simply saying "SS" usually puts non-automotive types into thinking you have a Monte Carlo. If you just say "Camaro", they might think it's a "bleh" 3800.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:48 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

This thread just keep going, huh?
dude i was just going to say the same ****** thing . everyone likes to argue back and forth but in the end who really gives a ****, your car is powered by an ls1 in either version and thats one of the only thing that matters.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Slayin Me!!

Good to see I'm not the only one into the RS body. To my untrained eye, it does look more functional that the SS types.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
...your car is powered by an ls1 in either version and thats one of the only things that matters.....

Yup, just like the answer that should cover all of these type of questions, whether you are looking at different models or different years, ESPECIALLY with mods it all boils down to and LS1 F-body is an LS1 F-body