Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022 | 11:05 AM
Teching In

Default transmission fluid change

Hi All :
Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone.

Just a quick question . I have a 2002 Camaro SS 6 speed manual transmission car with approximately 100 miles on it . The shop has finally gotten around to
servicing the car . I'm having all fluids , filters , some hoses and belts changed . The mechanic feels that the transmission fluid does not need changing at this time .
I was wondering what the general consensus is . I understand that the fluid is basically unused but it is 20 years old . Seems like most manufactures say to change
it between 30 and 60K miles , but that is for a new car .
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Marty
Old 01-08-2022 | 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

If the transmission fluid has never been changed, I wouldn't do it now. I've heard if it's not done on a regular basis, you shouldn't do it. I've never changed that fluid on any of my f-bodies in 22 years of ownership.
Old 01-08-2022 | 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nathan C
If the transmission fluid has never been changed, I wouldn't do it now. I've heard if it's not done on a regular basis, you shouldn't do it. I've never changed that fluid on any of my f-bodies in 22 years of ownership.
That myth refers to automatic transmissions and it's exactly that a myth, If you change fluid in a healthy transmission then you'll still have a healthy transmission, The problem is people notice the transmission acting funny so the first thing they do is change the fluid and filter thinking it's going to miraculously fix it and that's seldom the case and when it completely fails they blame it on the new fluid cleaning up the varnish build up on the clutches and internals.

OP, It's probably is fine with the old fluid but after 20 years I would change it for peace of mind, It's not like it's expensive to do.
Old 01-08-2022 | 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

With only 100 miles on the transmission fluid, as long as it is not contaminated by anything (such as failed internal components) then age alone isn't much of a factor.

FWIW, I last changed the transmission fluid in my '98 back in 2005 when it had ~12k miles. I haven't changed it since, so that's 17 years, but I've only put ~6k more miles on it in that time. Maybe I'll change it again at 20k miles, which probably won't come for another 3 years or so. But this is for an automatic transmission, which typically sees more heat and fluid contamination (natural wear of friction material). If it was a manual, I probably wouldn't have done it at all yet at this mileage.
Old 01-11-2022 | 12:18 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

I changed the fluid on my M6 01 T/A at about 95k, first with Mobil 1 synthetic, and then again back to Dex III. The transmission never felt the same again, though it was definitely worse with the M1.

My M6 Formula has 93k and I have no plans to change the fluid. Been there and done that with an unhappy result.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022 | 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

I've always ran plain old Dex III like what it calls for. Granted GM now calls it Manual Trans fluid (88861800) which is pretty pricey at the dealer. But I use strictly Amsoil and the trans in my sons car and many other cars I've put it in has never shifted smoother.
His is also a Tick Stg x?x because it has had some repairs and upgrades along the way.
But fwiw, for $20-25 for 4 qts of Dex III, I say do it...peace of mind really. At least YOU know it's done.
Old 03-13-2022 | 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless your 100 mile fluid was contaminated with water or something else it should be fine to use. Just just a small sample and verify it's still the right color and not opaque.

Using the factory specced/approved GM fluid or a similar conventional DEX III or even a semi-synthetic will see a lot of shearing in a 6 speed manual transmission. One BITOG report on a low
mileage early 2000's Vette being tracked from time to time showed a LOT of shearing in just 10,000 miles. Basically the viscosity had dropped from 7.5 cSt down to the mid 5's....which is an LV spec.
At that point I'd probably change it. The GM fluid has a somewhat better chemical additive package than the typical Dex III's....but not a huge difference. If you want a significant life out of your fluid you
would need to go full synthetic Dex III's (like M1 ATF, Redline D4) or some of the higher viscosity dedicated manual transmission fluids (9-11 cSt range)....which can create havoc with factory cellulose blocking rings.
That's another debate entirely. Some have good luck with those fluids, especially on the later carbon blocking rings....others don't have luck on either style ring.

Automatic Transmissions are simpler where you can just go by a mix of mileage AND fluid color and smell. I don't know what the factory service is.
I'd personally change it out by 25K-30K miles for typical conventional and semi-syn fluids. Highway driving is very easy on the automatic trans fluids.

I personally use the GM manual trans fluid (ie glorified Dex III) and changed it every 5,000 miles or so in my 1999 SS M6.........about 5 yrs of driving for me.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change