Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise...

Hi, I know there's a ton of posts about ls1s and ticking bit I'm pretty concerned. She's just over 100k miles and recently started ticking, my oil level is fine and its been looked over recently by my mechanic before we start the process of our build. However, until the build she is my daily and I don't want to get stranded. I have an exhaust leak but this sound is different should I be worried that a spark plus is going to shoot out (it's happened before) or my belt is about to give? The sound is only on the driver side and gets worse as I let off my clutch but is consistent after I roll into first gear. I'm really at a loss on this one and could really use some guidance so anything helps. Also the belt was replaced around 5k miles ago so not really sure if that is important for diagnosing this. No engine codes or anything and runs well, is responsive etc.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2022, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Not much info to go on but exhaust leaks sound similar to lifter noise. You can try to isolate the noise by taking a piece of garden hose approximately three feet in length and use it to listen to the engine as its idling to pin point the noise. Could be a rocker arm, exhaust leak, bad pulley,, etc. If you're worried about the plugs check to make sure they're tight and when's the last time you changed them or the wires. Usually tell when a cylinder is missing though.
The following users liked this post:
zelda.the,z28 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 222 Likes on 198 Posts

might be a good idea to fix the exhaust leak first, that way you could better hear the "new" noise to diagnose it
Old 03-31-2022, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update…

Here’s a follow up, it was my spark plug, just gave up and sent to my mechanic to keep until the build is done. Thanks for everyone who responded

Quick Reply: Ticking noise...