New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those with 4.10's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004 | 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

what is the most inexpensive way to cure this prob. $$$ is kinna tight right now so i cant spend that much to cure the prob and im not rally mechanically inclined to jump under the car and start taking this apart and measuring.

sorry guys just wanna be safe on the road.

thanks agian
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

alright ladies and gent's i got my drive shaft balanced but there still is a vibration. from what friends are saying its not as bad as before. but still vibrates at high speeds. i also noticed that it shakes when it wants to also. the shaking comes and goes sometimes and feels worse sometimes.

what is the next thing i should look at?

is the yoke suppose to have any play.? should it be loose at all or should it be tight? i can just wiggle it a tad bit.

thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2004 | 11:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
they guys at the shop noticed my right front tire had a little bubble on the outside wall. can this be causong the vibration also.?
That's a broken belt...It will cause vibration...
You could move that front tire to the back & see if it feels any different.
X

Last edited by xecuter; 07-31-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2006 | 10:14 AM
Teching In

Ever figure this out?

Im having a problem that i cannot figure out. My car has the steel ds and the 2.73 gears stock. I replace the stock gear with a auburn posi unit and 4.10 gear. My car now starts a vibration at 60mph plus.

So im on the interstate driving about 70 mph and i start speeding up, so the vibration gets worse then all of a sudden i hear a pop sound under my seat, so i pull off and the tail shaft housing is cracked almost all the way around, and is leaking fluid.

I was told by a tranny shop that it was the tranny. So i buy a used tranny with a shift kit in it 15k miles on it. So i go to change the tranny to find out the stock flexplate was cracked. So i ordered a tci flexplate installed it. While i was at it i bought a 3000 stall for it. Installed the flexplate and converter, and tranny. Put it back together.

So i go out in the car to do the converter break in lockup/ unlock break in.
I felt alittle bit of vibration in the car almost the same feeling from before.
Then i start running it alittle bit harder. I take off and nail it, shift into 2nd and it freewheels. Take it back apart to find out the ears on the front pump are junked one is missing and the other is bent.

Swapped out the pump. Go back out in the car to test it out only to break another tail shaft housing. I was told that it was the drive shaft so i took it and had it computer balanced. So i replace the TS again. This time i was able to run it almost 100 miles with very little vibration. Cracked again. Now i am being told that it is either a bent pinion shaft, or bent rearend yoke. By the way the ring and pinion was a used set and they whine pretty bad.

I have also been told that since the 4.10 spins the DS faster that it will cause the DS to flex in the middle causing a vibration.

I have been through alot of crap with this and no one can tell me what the problem is. The guy who set up the gear is very good, and has set up 100's of them.

With it being a used gear I can understand the whine but a vibration from the rear? Also the pinion seal is leaking, which is common on the fbody's anyway.

Any suggestions on what i should do with it next. other than burn it to the ground!!!

Sorry for the long story just didnt want to leave out the details