New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I properly prime my engine block before I put it back in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I properly prime my engine block before I put it back in the car?

I have 1999 Camaro SS and I just took out my LS1 to change all the seals and gaskets. I was wondering is there anything I need to do to the engine to make sure it starts good and nothing bad happens to it? People have told me that I need to Prime the engine so I did more research and my main concern right now is if I should do it while the engine is out the car? I think I should do it outside the car so I can see if there’s any leaks but I also heard that I should do it while the engine is in the car because of something with the coolant but I’m not sure everyone who see’s this plz give me your knowledge and wisdom thanks! Also if I prime the engine while it’s outside the car how do I know if it’s primed correctly and if it done? I heard when the oil is out of all the pushrods then it’s done but someone tell me if it’s true.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 196 Posts

There are different ways to prime the oil system. There are videos online also. But all you really need to do is install the engine into the car. With the spark plugs removed oil filter filled with oil, crankcase filled with oil crank the engine over and watch the oil pressure gauge. I doubt you will have any leaks unless you aren't confident in your work

Quick Reply: How do I properly prime my engine block before I put it back in the car?