New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement (different angled) water pump inlets available?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement (different angled) water pump inlets available?

I suspect I already know my answer through searching, but since the threads are old, just wondering if there ever was a solution for changing the water pump inlet's on these engines (ie: a press in replacement)?

I have to stay with this pump for it's depth. Unfortunately I still need to shave off a couple inches, and an elbow hose adds a few inches.

I am speaking of the below inlet, I need a 90 elbow. (If I needed a straight, I suppose I could machine one and press it in, but I'm not going to attempt to make something angled, nor do I want to try welding it in case of pinholes).

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2022, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 461 Likes on 348 Posts

i believe thats the outlet, the inlet being where the thermostat is.
regardless, im sure this is a cut and weld situation. ive done a truck pump that way to aim it lower.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little confused about the inlet/outlet on an LS. Normally the thermostat is the outlet, so the engine coolant temperature opens the thermostat. Unsure how it would be accurate if the thermostat was on the inlet. I'll need to test that before I fire this thing just to get some closure.

Regardless, I was afraid of that answer! I have a truck pump kicking around and it has about a 45 on the neck, but I didn't even bother to measure the diameter, as I'm sure if I were to pop this one out (of the ls3 pump), it would no longer be a press fit?
Old 08-26-2022, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 461 Likes on 348 Posts

its up to you whether its worth trying but id be concerned about it sealing well if you remove and replace it. ive turned them before in truck pumps and they did fine but i havent pulled one out
Old 08-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well I mean, I won't pop it out if no one manufactures a press fit replacement elbow.

Quick Reply: Replacement (different angled) water pump inlets available?