Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulleys worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive pulleys worth it?

I was wondering if underdrive pulleys are worth the money and if so which ones are best? And what are the "free mods" that everyone is talking about it their posts? How do you do the free mods? Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the pulley is worthwhile, especially on a cam install since you have to take the pulley off anyway for that... might as well put something better on if you gotta take the stocker off. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble of putting one on if it weren't for my cam install.

As for free mods, free mods are things like cutting out the bottom of the lower air box (the part under the filter) to get more air flow... that's a free mod. The "drill" mod in an M6 car (drilling out the restriction in the clutch line) is a free mod. Removing the baffles in an SS/WS6 hood is a free mod. Basically anything that doesn't cost you any money is considered a "free" mod.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Underdrive pulleys are a perfect addition when doing a cam install. They are much easier to put on and take off than the stock one. Benefits are lighter weight which will allow the motor to rev faster to higher rpms. I wouldn't do a pulley only swap becuase of the hassle. Gains are around 6-8 rwhp (really depends on the car). The ASP pulley is the preferred underdrive pulley because it's reliable, doesn't cause false knock and almost every sponsor carries them.

Do a search (a newbies best friend) on the free mods; the subject has been beaten to death all on the boards and even some magazines are writing how-to articles.

Also pick up these two books" "LS1/LS6 Performance" by Chris Endres and "Corvette Fuel Injection (1998-2001)". Both are available online and Barnes and Nobles. They are excellent reference books that serve as a good primer for the LS1. They will answer alot of questions you might have.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Will changing the pulley make your air conditioning less effective?
Old 07-25-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your car is sitting still in park or just idleing maybe, but if you are driving no. although I did not notice any diffrence.

Get the pulley, its worth it.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They say pulleys are worth 10 rwhp. I don't know about that on a stock motor, but is very likely for a cam or head/cam motor. I will be getting mine soon... I went with ASP. They have been known to work, so why get anything else.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pulleys are worth it, I've got the March ones and their great.

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulleys worth it?