New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i HATE Ls1s

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand the guy being a little upset, but don't go overboard. Anyway, I had very little oil consumption in my 2000 Z until I put headers on with a little under 30000 miles on the car. After that a huge problem developed, much like yours. I was went thru 3 quarts in 1 week! I took it to Harden Motorsports and they checked the compression. Darren at Harden told me I needed new rings. I did a little research and from what I understood, new rings would rob a few HP, but I figured it would be worth not leaving a cloud of smoke everytime I took off. I even had a guy in a Mustang tell me it was smoking real bad! Well I decided to have the rings replaced and that solved my problem. I also had a cam put in at the same time so that helped save on labor. So I would say to check the compression. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I personally have not had the consumption problem-- even after multiple passes at the track. HOWEVER-- I think this guy might consume a little--

EIGHT TURBO LS1

Link to the 57 Chevy's webpage
LS1 Motor
Old 07-27-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

I have seen quite a many LS1's in my life, but to date I have yet to see any of them blowing BLUE smoke.

Sure, I've seen quite a few puff a could of black smoke when somebody steps on it. Hell, even mine does that every now and then. But it still doesn't consume any excessive amounts of oil, either. Never had to add any oil.

Your problem has nothing to do with LS1. It has everything to do with the dealership you bought your car from. I'm sure you inspected the car thoroughly before buying it, right? No signs of previous mods, abuse etc.?

TS
Old 07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Teching In

yah, i appriciate the input. If i only used a quart or so every 3,000 miles like some of you guys say, i wouldnt care. IM USING OVER 3 QUARTS EVERY OIL CHANGE!! and i can see and smell the oil burning. I think im gonna try to get the dealer to take back the car (under the Ma Law, i can). And i am gonna buy a nice IROC and sportbike

Last edited by Rchumsae; 07-27-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rchumsae
alright, i bought a 2000 trans am with 30k miles. It blew blue smoke and consumed a quart every 800 miles or so. I bitched at the dealship and told them to fix it, so they swapped me a new LS1 out of another car and the new motor they put in had 18,000 on it, DOES THE SAME EXACT THING. Is this normal? is it okay to see blue smoke when i get on it, and eat oil like a SOB. I cant belive i went through two LS1 both under 30k miles and they BOTH smoke, they both smell like fricken 2 stroke. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?! SHOULD I GET RID OF IT AND GET OUT OF THE GM WORLD AND BUY A STANG!?!?!? IM PISSED.

Go get a mustang..you'll look REALLY pretty in my rearview mirror

And while you're back there notice how it doesn't blow blue smoke
Old 07-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Your acuity with grammar is only exceeded by the atrocity of your spelling. Note the correct spelling of "grammar," and for that matter, it's "whack" not "wack." Now who is Fr. Garducci going to make silly?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Your acuity with grammar is only exceeded by the atrocity of your spelling. Note the correct spelling of "grammar," and for that matter, it's "whack" not "wack." Now who is Fr. Garducci going to make silly?
3 posts and already Ouch.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
Oh my...you shameful boys and your grammer. You should never end a sentence with a preposition. That's all. Now kiss and make up or I will have Father Garducci wack you boys silly.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit213
3 posts and already Ouch.
I was all for fun...spelling errors intentional. No one own's me so get over it. He apparantly doesn't have a clue about SNL.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'd guess the dealer fucked you and didn't swap your engine at all, which might explain why its doing the exact same thing. But if you hate LS1's so much, then do us all a favor and trade it in on a mustang. Then when you get *** repeatedly handed to at the drags, you'll have even more reasons to hate LS1's
Old 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

I have a 1998 Trans Am stock internal A4 w/ a converter and some spray.
the car takes up about 1/3 qt every 4 to 5 thousand miles...

To my knowledge this car has never even had the valvecovers taken off.

I spray the hell out of this thing and have made over 30 passes at the strip with it. I also often "pace" other cars at high rates of acceleration on the street on a fairly regular basis.

I have had problems w/alternators and other bullshit but the motor is a good piece in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Teching In

do i have to say it again???? I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING FORD, i am pissed and i was venting. And they DID chnage the motor......for the second time. READ THE POSTS GUYS. I think im gonna buy an Impala SS.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
I was all for fun...spelling errors intentional. No one own's me so get over it. He apparantly doesn't have a clue about SNL.
It's kind of funny how you deleted it after he posted though.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Banned

i want to clear something up here.........the reason you don't see smoke out the tailpipes when your LS1 is using 1 qt of oil every 800 miles is because........................................... .................................................

the cats completely burn it up and you see nothing.......put headers on the same car without cats.......you'll look like crop duster at WOT.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Having worked at a dealership and owning a 94 Thunderbird SC which consumed a bit of oil. (3.8L Supercharged much like a Grand Prix GTP but RWD). Because of the PCV system in cars these days a small amount of oil consumption (1/2-1qt per oil change 3-5,000 miles) is considered normal from my discussions with the techs. It also explained why I'd find oil residue in my intercooler (PCV). It's just part of the wonderful world of modern automobiles (and emissions I believe)

Oh and I am planning on trading the tbird in tomorrow for a 99 NBM Trans Am M6. Just gotta get the bird back from the dealership lol it's getting the motor replaced (under warranty had it replaced a few months ago and am just tired of the down time).

It's tons of fun working in this engine bay

Compared to that the LS1 engine bay is a dream
Old 07-29-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, me too!! I hate my 370+ RWHP car that burns a quart or two every 3000 miles when I rev it to redline every single day and generally beat the crap out of it. Sucks!!! I bet that brand new (unmodded) Cobra I waxed the other day was just laughing at me for buying such a crappy car!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had no problems with my 98 Z28. I have over 90,000 mile on it and still stock clutch. It does use a little oil but less than a quart every oil change.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1W66
My `98 is a daily driver with 91K miles and has never had an Oil consumption problem.
In fact I still have the original clutch in the car, How many can say that ?
Now that is impressive my car went through three clutches and is due for a fourth, the first two were with the original owner under warrenty. Some how I fucked that last one up, broke it in half . I barely ever get on the car, so it is beyond me.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep dealer saw him coming ... Sure I changed your motor... now go home. - Go back, have him swap one out of a zo6.
By the way... did the engine swap take 15min. might have been a red flag.

Originally Posted by Assassin
I dont beleive that the dealer even changed your engine, I've got a 98 w/ mods and n2o and I get no smoke and have no oil consumption issues, I've also had the car since it was new so I know how much abuse its had........(alot)