New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tones2SS
Actually, GM HIGH TECH PERFORMANCE ran a test on like 8 different airlids and SLP was the one that fit and was constructed the best. AGAIN, NOT MY OPINION, this is written in GMHTP magazine. Hope this helps you out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
i have that mag, and when they said the mti lid fit a little loose i was thinking it was more of a general fit type of deal rather than it not making a seal with the filter. who knows, maybe they are all like that and its only the clear ones that you can actually see that the filter isnt making contact with the lid. if thats the case, maybe a bunch of the ls1 oil usage problems are from people sucking a ton of dust and lord knows what else in thier mills.

ok, NOW i'll stop bitching.

bowtie4life, no need to shout man! i do agree that for the price you pay you should get a quality unit that fits just like the stocker. and you probably could make a little money if you made a sure-seal gasket kit for bunk lids...
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey alll... I have a whisper lid, and it fits perfectely. I dont know about other models but mine didnt fit all all until I found out the lip on the front has to go inside the base. BTW, what brand?
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another for the SLP lid.....

Mine fits tight and good quality
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My SLP fits nice and tight. The gasket on the ACCEL filter may contribute to this, but a great fit nonetheless.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:22 PM
On The Tree

My MTI lid fits great-it must be the faux carbon fibre...

P.S. it fits tighter with a stock paper filter.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yeah

I have the MTI clear lid and use the Fram paper filter. The fit is nice and snug, no issues whatsoever. I'd say give that combo a try. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Ok I finally made out what was going on in the first pic. That gap is normal, no different than mine but I think the filter still seals up to it. However i don't have a k&n gasket on it as its on my stock lid I've never been able to locate gaskets
My Granatelli lid has that same gap in the back. Smoking, I got some weatherstripping from Home Depot to fill it in.
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess that I'm the only one runnin' a Granetelli Lid but FWIW, mine fit ok with the paper (FRAM) filter. Fits perfect with the K&N.
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

SLP blackwing

only one good enough for OEM sales

made of an OEM grade material

might not be the best hp one, but quality blows everything else away.

It will stay on my car, until i put the lid with the outlet on the drivers side for my blower on

Ryan
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:36 PM
Launching!

My SLP lid fits like a glove..a tight glove..but a glove
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

This weekend, I installed an SLP lid and it fits like a glove. No fitment problems whatsoever.
LMPerformance has em' on sale for $89.
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

little update for you with carpy fitting lids, i swapped the mti clear airlid for the slp lid.

MUCHO BETTER MANG!! fits tight as prom night.

i still ran a strip of thin weatherstrip on the inside of the lid for peace of mind, i'm sure its sealed up real good. i went ahead and got the smooth bellow as well since i had store credit, that and the lid together made it a pain to get on, but worth it.

btw, i dont mean to come off saying anything bad about the quality of mti clear lids, as i'm pretty sure it was a bunk unit. i also dont mean to come off like a know it all newbie, but i highly suggest that you take the end of a zip tie or the like and see if you can push it easily between the filter and lid underneath the maf neck. that little gap (if you have one) could suck in alot more crud than you think.
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:53 AM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

I had an LS1 Motorsports lid that didn't fit all that great and wasn't as durable as the SLP lid I replaced it with. The SLP lid is sturdier and the fit is great.

The GMHTP article that was referred to earlier on lids really uncovered the good from the bad in several key areas.
Old 07-31-2004 | 01:05 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Well ... in all humility, my TSP lid has fit great from day one ... just the regular cheapo version ... not a super-carbon-fiber version or clear acrylic or anything like that ... just a basic lid. Works great, I'm happy, what else can I say???
Old 07-31-2004 | 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

I bought one of the First MTI Clear lid Way Back in the Day and I can say that it doesnt fit well either. Had to go to Home Depot to fix it. I want to get a New Lid..
Old 07-31-2004 | 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bowtie4life
MY LID FROM MTI SUCKS *****, IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE FOR A 4TH GRADE ART PROJECT USING PAPER MASHAE....FOR AS MUCH AS THESE PEOPLE SELL THESE LIDS FOR YOU WOULD THINK COULD INVEST IN A LITTLE R&D AND MAKE THEM FIT BETTER, NOT ONLY DOES MINE NOT FIT, BUT SEVERAL FRIENDS DONT FIT EITHER....NOTHING A LITTLE HOMEMADE FAB COULDNT FIX....GUESS I SHOULD GO INTO BUISINESS SELLING A FITMENT PRODUCT FOR THESE BUNK *** LIDS.
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Just got my TSP lid on, fitment is a-ok! I went with an AC Delco filter.
Old 08-03-2004 | 07:47 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by frey51
Hey alll... I have a whisper lid, and it fits perfectely. I dont know about other models but mine didnt fit all all until I found out the lip on the front has to go inside the base. BTW, what brand?
This happened to me too. I bought a black SLP airbox lid and could not get it to fit/close properly. I tried for probably an hour to get it to fit. The darn hinge things at the back kept popping out or the metal clasps at the front kept popping open. Finally I looked at the red text in step 16 at Whisper Lid Install really carefully and noticed that the front edge of the lid goes inside the base. After that the lid fit normally.

Also I have the K&N air filter, #33-2118, and it came with a rectangular foam gasket with adhesive on one side. I applied it to the underside of the lid and it allowed the lid to make a better seal. But it made the lid a bit harder to close again - but it is sealed. Probably over time that foam gasket will compress a bit.
Old 12-29-2004 | 03:15 AM
Launching!

My new airlid is like this as well.

Weatherstripping? What have you guys done when you've had this problem, to fix it.
Old 12-29-2004 | 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

The most common problem is leaving the gasket out, and not pushing the rear tabs in far enough for the front of the lid to clear the the raised lip in front. If you don't have the gasket call K&N and they'll send you one or frost king r338 (available at home centers) is 3/8 wide 3/16 thick foam that you can make up in about 10 minutes.

The SLP lids generally fit well and flow well, and I have not heard of too many problems with the MTI lids.

Quick Reply: VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid