New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low 12 second trans am ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys bashoing on the dude that said hes running what 12.2 on the 98 that is possible with those modifications considering i dont think any of us kno what the SLP PCM3 actually can do for the car....cude be some sort of supertune or something...and considering that the guys gotta probably good exhaust set up..with the intake thermostat and suspension for some better traction....with the right weather conditions....it seems possible...yeah...ok mayb 12.2 seems like a lil extreme but its possible none the less with those modifications....and probably much easier to reach with a 01-02 dont ya think?

also he ran the 99 WS6 12.8 with intake and removed cats and a not an aftermarket catback but jsut a muffler...now me im running 12.8-12.9 with intake and catback with the large diameter Y pipe....thats an 02...rmoving the cats probably did it a bit of good...he ran 12.4 with drag radials....in otherwords he porbably hooked qite hard...and with my guess he used BFG's
so put your BS flag down unless oyu can prove it...in person....and even if it were to be BS those are 2 cars with basic mods any of us would have gotten are hands on at one time or another
Old 08-21-2004, 11:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by jampearson
There are several ways to go about your project. Me and several buddies have tried almost every bolt-on there is for both LT1' and LS1's. Below are a few options to get you there, the only question is what are you willing to sacrafice to get you there: money??? gas milage??? wear and tear on the car??? I will list my reccommendations with what seemed to be the disadvantage of our projects and what advantages we gained.

1) Remove cats (illegal!!!) and use a good high flow muffler (one you like the sound of (www.ls1sounds.com), cold air induction kit (reccommend SLP Package or MAKE your own), and a pair of drag radials. This package got my buddy 12.4 on drags and 12.8 on regualar tires in a 99 ws6 A4-downfall is car is really loud during normal driving and illegal-if you do most of the work yourself and buy slp package, your lookin @ about $650-800 depending on what brands you go with (they all work just as good). P.S. after all these mods, the car only liked 93 octane gas, 87 it would pop and sputter and clank like nobody's business.

2) This in my opinion is the best but cost the most -- get a good catback exhaust (SLP, GMMG, or BORLA), SLP's PCM3-reprograms your car drastically (about $500), cold air and lid (any brand works), smoothe bellows (between MAF and TB), control arms to help with launch and shifts, for consistancy-160* thermo. This package got a friend with a 98 t/a A4 runnin 245' stockers 12.2 @ 109--I am sure with the ws6, wider tires and the better susp already, you could get 12ohs, add drag radials and you are well into 11's. Unfortuantely, this system will cost minimum of $1200, he bought all slp stuff and paid like $1900, upside-we went on a trip to the beach, and he got 30 mpg runnin 90 with ac goin. This is my recommendation, but it's $$$

3) Spend $600 and get some nos, run 12's all day long, then after about a dozen or so runs, you can start saving to rebuild that smokin motor.

Just my reccommendations, they work, I've personally done em all, and they work, but one lesson I have learned is if you want to go faster, you have to be prepared to sacrafice something.

Idiot
Old 08-22-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but a cat-back, Fernco/baker hose, lid, CAI, and LCA's can NOT be counted on to get a 12.4 timeslip. You would have to have one HELL of a seriously quick car while stock to pull that off once modded, if you even could, on STOCK tires. I would like to see proof of this '98 A4 with said mods that runs 12.4. What amounts to lid, CAI, cat-back, ??some computer tuning??, and LCA's (on a 98 no less) will be lucky to get you 12 anything. Do you know times for this firebird while stock?

I venture to call on that setup plus drag radials running 11's.

Also, if you install nitrous on a stock engine you are not going to have to start saving money to rebuild your motor unless you F*ck something up, omit use of one of the safety devices, etc.

Edit: Definately some IMO. Either that or you just found a way to take a 98 F-body into the 11's N/A for less than $2k
i don't know why you have such a hard time believing him...doesn't seem too farfetched to me...especially when some people run 12.9's stock...so a 12.8 with a cat-back with no cats..a lid, cai, and bellows...couldn't knock off a tenth of a second..i know a 12.9 isn't the norm but a 13.3 would be..and that seems right...if anyone is full of it is you...by the way the 12.4 is with drag radials...take a look at the stock internal thread...many people are running deep into the 11's with just bolt-ons...
Old 08-22-2004, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
i don't know why you have such a hard time believing him...doesn't seem too farfetched to me...especially when some people run 12.9's stock...so a 12.8 with a cat-back with no cats..a lid, cai, and bellows...couldn't knock off a tenth of a second..i know a 12.9 isn't the norm but a 13.3 would be..and that seems right...if anyone is full of it is you...by the way the 12.4 is with drag radials...take a look at the stock internal thread...many people are running deep into the 11's with just bolt-ons...
* * First off, *he* claimed 12.2 with that setup, not 12.8. HUUUGE difference. Then *he* said that was regular tires, and drag radials would put you easily into the 11's. Yes, some people run 11's with bolt ons (not most, but some). They have WAY more than the mods you listed, however.

*He* stated: "good catback exhaust (SLP, GMMG, or BORLA), SLP's PCM3-reprograms your car drastically (about $500), cold air and lid (any brand works), smoothe bellows (between MAF and TB), control arms to help with launch and shifts, for consistancy-160* thermo. This package got a friend with a 98 t/a A4 runnin 245' stockers 12.2 @ 109" Then you said: add drag radials and you are well into 11's.

I definately stand by my . Especially since he is telling people that if they do those mods they will get those results. Maybe the worlds were in alignment with his factory freak and awsome conditions but there is no way in hell that is repeatable by others even if it is true in the first place.

Think about it, you/he is/are claiming $1,900 to put 98 into 11's NA. Take that car and add ET streets, ported TB, LS6 intake, headers, high stall converter, ASP pullies, and a tune....and you would set a record for the quickest N/A bolt on car.

Edit: When i first wrote the post, I thought you were jampearson. I see you are just saying that hwat he posted is possible. I put *he* in my post where I had put you. I stand by what I said......and I guess that almost anything is possible....maybe, maybe not

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 08-22-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

1) Remove cats (illegal!!!) and use a good high flow muffler (one you like the sound of (www.ls1sounds.com), cold air induction kit (reccommend SLP Package or MAKE your own), and a pair of drag radials. This package got my buddy 12.4 on drags and 12.8 on regualar tires in a 99 ws6 A4-downfall is car is really loud during normal driving and illegal-if you do most of the work yourself and buy slp package, your lookin @ about $650-800 depending on what brands you go with (they all work just as good). P.S. after all these mods, the car only liked 93 octane gas, 87 it would pop and sputter and clank like nobody's business.
i was referring to this..

2) This in my opinion is the best but cost the most -- get a good catback exhaust (SLP, GMMG, or BORLA), SLP's PCM3-reprograms your car drastically (about $500), cold air and lid (any brand works), smoothe bellows (between MAF and TB), control arms to help with launch and shifts, for consistancy-160* thermo. This package got a friend with a 98 t/a A4 runnin 245' stockers 12.2 @ 109--I am sure with the ws6, wider tires and the better susp already, you could get 12ohs, add drag radials and you are well into 11's. Unfortuantely, this system will cost minimum of $1200, he bought all slp stuff and paid like $1900, upside-we went on a trip to the beach, and he got 30 mpg runnin 90 with ac goin. This is my recommendation, but it's $$$

this however is

3) Spend $600 and get some nos, run 12's all day long, then after about a dozen or so runs, you can start saving to rebuild that smokin motor.
i've never heard of people blowing their engine on nitrous without doing something incredibly stupid...like say a 300 shot on a stock engine...
"nos" reminds me of fast and furious

Last edited by 777; 08-22-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stangkillerWs6
does anyone have a low 12 second trans am ws6 if so could you tell me what mods you have done because i have a 2000 ws6 and i want to get it running low 12s or 12 flats so i want an idea of what ill need to get done thanks
Mods in sig, running 12.1
Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

haha yeah that g5x3, or any cam, is not really a "bolt-on"...that is quite a large cam...it doesn't apply..however sounds like you have a nice setup going there
Old 08-23-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
haha yeah that g5x3, or any cam, is not really a "bolt-on"...that is quite a large cam...it doesn't apply..however sounds like you have a nice setup going there
I think he is putting up the bs flag too. Hes spent way more then $1900 and is running 12.1. "He" claims to run 12.2 with 1900.

And yes, you do have a nice set up going
Old 08-24-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't have a WS6 but i do have a low 12 second Z28 and they're basically the same thing anyway....check my sig for my recipe....
Old 08-24-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill also say that i witnessed a friend of mine with a 6 speed '02 WS6 run a 12.38 @ 114 with NOTHING more than a lid, catback, pulled front swaybar and nitto drag radials.....i couldn't believe it....it wasn't a fluke either he ran a bunch of 12.40s that day too....

Quick Reply: low 12 second trans am ws6?