New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help... Im An Idiot!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004 | 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default Please Help... Im An Idiot!!!!!

We'll ive been through two years of automotive technology but just to be safe i checked the manual to see where i should jack my car. Well i used the pinch weld near the front driver side wheel and it f@%King cracked and bent in. Its a 98 z28. Anyways... it completely bent inward (the part with the two bolts that connect to the fender. So i essentially have two questions. One... what do i do about the crushed jacking point... and two. Where am i supposed to jack the front end since its too low to get to the cross member /= .

Thanks for any help and sorry for the noobish question. I feel so dumb and i hurt my baby... god this sucks.

Ben
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

ummmn check this article out http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TraajicLS1
thanks a lot... so is there no way to do it without at least some pieces of wood to give me some more clearance?

Ben
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

If you have jackstands that are tall enough, you won't even have to worry about adding pieces of wood. If you do add some wood, make sure the wood is solid and smooth and large enough to be under all parts of the jack stand.
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
If you have jackstands that are tall enough, you won't even have to worry about adding pieces of wood. If you do add some wood, make sure the wood is solid and smooth and large enough to be under all parts of the jack stand.

sorry... to clarify i meant instead of the ramps... heres the quote from the site "Lifting by the center of the front "K" member will get the front end off the ground. We drive the car up on ramps and then lift. It is a tight fit otherwise. A small piece of lumber will work instead of ramps. That will give you the clearance you need."
Old 08-08-2004 | 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bengeeee
sorry... to clarify i meant instead of the ramps... heres the quote from the site "Lifting by the center of the front "K" member will get the front end off the ground. We drive the car up on ramps and then lift. It is a tight fit otherwise. A small piece of lumber will work instead of ramps. That will give you the clearance you need."

???????????????????
Old 08-08-2004 | 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

ok...my car has a little plastic block that says DON"T JACK HERE!!....so i jack to the right of that where it has an arrow..pointing..you know like to slide your jack to..and start jacking...thers alot of jacks in that answer

ther person who previously owned..my LT1..Z28...jacked on the don't jack here.and now it looks like **** it bent outward..so you could see when looking at he car from a distance..

People need to learn what DON"T JACK HERE means

Old 08-08-2004 | 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

thats exactly why you get a friend with a lift...cuz...JACKING YOUR CAR UP EVERY TIME YOU WORK ON IT>>isn't kewl
Old 08-09-2004 | 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
thats exactly why you get a friend with a lift...cuz...JACKING YOUR CAR UP EVERY TIME YOU WORK ON IT>>isn't kewl
this is my first time working on it
Old 08-09-2004 | 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

im making custom 8inch high ramps for my car to drive the front up onto. Im making them out of 2x12's and 2x8's these ramps are gonna make workin on my car alot easier. And that way all the weight will be on the wheels and not on the jack points behind the front wheels. I ve heard that leaving a car on jacks at the spot behind the front wheels for a long period of time can result in the front end of the car bending down a little.

The ramps will be great for everything except tire rotation, then I have to use stands obviously.
Old 08-09-2004 | 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Its funny how the guys that go to school to work on cars for a living do the dumbest ****. My 11 year old sister could have figured out that the thin metal drip rail is not where you lift the f'n car.

OK, I feel better.

Good luck getting it fixed. Lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.
Old 08-09-2004 | 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bads02Z28
Its funny how the guys that go to school to work on cars for a living do the dumbest ****. My 11 year old sister could have figured out that the thin metal drip rail is not where you lift the f'n car.

OK, I feel better.

Good luck getting it fixed. Lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.

thx for the help