Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging at wot

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default sucking oil

Originally Posted by skunk50
i dunno how good they are for the LS1, but i have an A/F digital guage on my Mustang and it's just nice to look at and not very accurate.

how about try some good fuel cleaner (like the $20 can from the dealer)...maybe you have some carbon buildup from the PCV valve sucking oil into the intake?

longshot, but maybe you've got some kind of performance programming on their from HPP3 or something, that the previous owner didn't know or didn't tell you about.
when I replaced my throttle body we took it off for adjusting and saw the back of tb covered with oil.
should I just ditch the pvc valve replace with a breather?
mine pings also it's irratating me.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:04 PM
Teching In

My car 2000 Camaro also BARELY and I mean BARELY pings, if you even wanna call it that, it more sounds like a cable dragging against metal really slowly. Only at WOT and Only at around 5,000 RPM. It was really hot when I tried it, I will try against tonight, are these cars pinging from lean conditions... Shitty gas... Or bad timing? Would a quick 1 hour job on a dyno fix the problem?
Old 09-29-2005 | 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by exstanger
My car is pinging also. what worries me more is that my car is backfiring bad when it is cold (engine temp not outside temp). i think that part of our problems are that the gas sucks nowadays. $2.10 a gallon and now we all get pinging. by the way what causes the backfires.
$2.10 a gallon ! You lucky **** ! lol. Cheapest I can Find Is $3.16 a gallon ! No ping here thank God and my Autometer A/F gauge is strictly for Decoration.
Old 09-29-2005 | 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

$2.10 a gallon ! You lucky **** ! lol
Err... his post is a year old LOL

In anycase, for anyone having the problem - get your car tuned in your normal driving conditions (not just a dyno/WOT tune) - that's the only thing that helped me after living with constant ping for 1.5 years. I tried everything mentioned in this thread and then some.

Pulling out timing and scaling injectors to add more fuel was the only thing that cured the detonation.
Old 09-30-2005 | 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Talking

I Gotta stop Hitting the BAR after work ! lol
Old 10-04-2005 | 03:31 PM
On The Tree

after Seafoam, the pinging lessened....throttle response was crispier....but now the motor knocks very loudly during cold startups and 1/2 the time during the beginning of warm startups.

Seafoam went into the PCV hose btw.

and yes, i did change the oil immediately after letting the Seafoam soak overnight and going for short drive to heat up the oil (the next morning) before the oil change. and always synthetic oil.

i think Seafoam does clean **** up but during that process, it thins out your oil causing that permanent or worsen knocking. the car never knocked this loud nor this often for the first 65k miles before Seafoam.
Old 10-14-2005 | 12:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I just had my car gone through for smimilar reasons. The pinging and smoke. The smoke turned out to be a head gasket or intake manifold coolant. Does the pinging at WOT sound almost like sombody threw a handfull of sand into the engine, and you hear it bouncing all over the place? I had that problem too, and one of the guys on site told me that was what detonation sounded like. Higher octane fuel should be the cure for that. Good luck either way.
i have the same problem,no smoke though. 2001 ls1 ss.i always use premium fuel.any other suggestions?
thanks.
Old 10-23-2005 | 12:56 AM
TECH Resident
20 Year Member

a few other considerations.

when i bought my car it had that high rpm ping/knock noise you all are refering too.

i havent heard it make the slightest ping noise in about 6 months now.
after trying some select "top-end" cleaners and a new fuel system cleaner machine that your car will actually run off of while cleaning the fuel system.
i beleive that a gummed up intake tract near heads and/or fuel injectors that have been clogged slightly.

but one thing u need to be careful with when doing some of those top end cleaners is that the stuff they knock loose may possibly be doing damage. when it is knocked loose could start scaring your internals, leading to unexpected damages.
so be careful when doing those cleaners guys!

also, i beleive that the oil blow by in the pcv system is the main culprit for the intake/heads gumming up.

my .02
Old 10-23-2005 | 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Would there be enough carbon build up in the motor or a 18k mile car to cause pinging? I have a friend w/a 02 ss whos car pings, it did it from day one, he then got a tune (the car was stock, but retuned) and it still pings, any ideas?
Old 10-23-2005 | 12:55 PM
TECH Resident
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Would there be enough carbon build up in the motor or a 18k mile car to cause pinging? I have a friend w/a 02 ss whos car pings, it did it from day one, he then got a tune (the car was stock, but retuned) and it still pings, any ideas?
its possible but not likely.
i would check more routine things such as fuel filter, pcv valce, spark plugs. then may try some sort of fuel system cleaner.

my .02

ive done every bit of maitnance to my car and somewhere along the way i lost that pinging at WOT. so not all is lost.
Old 10-23-2005 | 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Have you all tried switching gas stations? Maybe some 76 Propower or Chevron Techron 91 will help.
Old 10-23-2005 | 07:01 PM
TECH Resident
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TopFlite
Have you all tried switching gas stations? Maybe some 76 Propower or Chevron Techron 91 will help.
even 91 octane should be more than sufficient to eliminate knock/ping at WOT on these cars in stock trim..

but yes you are right, some people claim less knock with certain gas. though i personaly did not find that to be the culprit.

Quick Reply: Pinging at wot