Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some belt assemble questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default some belt assemble questions

hey, i am almost ready to put my ls1 in my 68 firebird, but i am starting to try and find a belt for this thing, but my motor is all apart and i cant seem to find my belt tensioner. not the ac tensioner but the actual belt tensioner and the assembly that holds it to the block. and i was wondering if anybody had a picture of one that i could look at. and another quick question is, how does the belt go around the pullies on a 99 trans am ls1. i dont have a.c so i dont need to worry about it lol. a picture would be awesome but if you could just describe what yours looks like i would be greatly appreciative! thanking in advance

daniel
Old 08-13-2004, 05:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the belt tensioner looks like this

Old 08-13-2004, 05:42 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

belt routing, kind of small but you get the idea

Old 08-13-2004, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

RIGHT ON!! thanks alot, JRP you are the man. i have known this before today, but you just prove yourself over and over again! now someone told me that the tensioner assembly is located on the water pump housing?!? is there any truth to that? and the main reason that i needed the way the belt goes is i didnt want to turn that water pump backwards lol. but i do have one question... i am sold my ac compressor with the bracket and tensioner, so does that mean that i need to get another ac tensioner or what?!? i see that the belt route goes up then comes down to the ac compressor. and may i ask what car this sticker is off of?!? because my alternator is located at the bottom and it looks like this one is at the top?!? i guess it doenst matter as along as i have everything turn the way it is supposed to right!?! i look forward to your response. thanks alot

daniel
Old 08-13-2004, 03:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

no the belt tensioner is not bolted or part of the water pump assembly, you can remove both individually. there are two belts; one for the accesssories and one for the a/c. if you've !a/c you wont need the a/c belt.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

ok i gotcha! i couldnt remember if i took one belt off or what?!? lol but thanks for all the help. and i checked out the powersteering website you gave me and i had already looked at them, but they didnt help much. i guess i need to pay closer attention at the next cruise in! but would the lt1 cars and the ls1 cars have the same kind of power steering setup?!? thanks again

daniel