been there, done that already. It's really not special lol
Old 08-29-2004 | 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
been there, done that already. It's really not special lol
I guess I'll have to wait and see...
Old 08-30-2004 | 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

I say get an ls1 as stated as above. But I say get it in HS. C'mon guys...you have to think about this. In HS everyone knows you worked for the car and everyone knows you have it. I got mine in HS and now that I am in college no one really cares. Its just another car in the parking lot. Not to mention theres a lot of other really nice rides. I dont care that its "just another car" but its not nearly as noticed.

By the way...I agree. Girls in college are sooooooo much cooler/hotter in college than in HS. But they could care less what kind of car I drive. Especially in the program I'm in. Most girls I know have just as nice of car, if not nicer.
Old 08-30-2004 | 12:15 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Well, I've owned both, 94 and 00 Formulas, and my opinion is ... while unlike most of the guys who have posted, I like the clean look of the early cars, engine-wise there is no comparison. Not only do the LT1's have the notorious optispark, (ask me, I've replaced two), but in general they are not as well-engineered and suffer from many more driveability problems. Yep, the LT1's have gobs of low-end feel-good part-throttle torque, but when you jump on it, the LS1 will walk away from the LT1. Save yourself the dissatisfaction and frustration while you save up for an LS1.
Old 08-30-2004 | 06:07 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

i was in the same position as you; after test driving a few LT1's i was almost sold, until i did the research on the Ls1 and found out it was the far superior engine. as stated the LT1's feel "faster" due to there 2400rpm peak tq. LS1 doesnt see peak tq until ~4400rpm, but the LS1's mid range and top end more then make up for the "lack" of low end.
Old 08-30-2004 | 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Ive owned just about every engine combo in third and fourth gens LB9, L69, L98, LT1, LS1 since I got my first one new in 85. First thing I will say, (and this is sure to **** some people off) but be careful. You are an amature driver and theses cars, even in stock form are incredibly powerful. You can get into trouble real quick if you don't know what you are doing. With that being said, my old LT1 with A4 and 3.73s feels much quicker off the line than my LS1 Hawk with Longtubes. If you plan on going to the track and making a lot of 1/4 mile runs, than the LS1 is going to be better out of the box. But if you just plan on toying around on the street to 80mph, the LT1 is more than adequate. Not to mention, the LT1 sounds awesome. My LS1 sounds like a blender.
Old 08-30-2004 | 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Everyone here is saying go for a LS1. I say go with what you like. If you get a LT1, it will be more challenging to make it fast. By making a LT1 fast though, you will have a much more unique car. Think of how many fast LS1's there are vs. the fast LT1's. The LT1 exhaust note is also much more reminicent of old school muscle rather than the LS1's more modern sound if you prefer that. If you're up for a bigger challenge and want to be more unique, I say go LT1. If you want to stay stock, then go LS1. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-30-2004 | 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I vote for the LS1 also, but you won't get the gas milage an LT1 gets.
Old 08-30-2004 | 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slammed-am

Ok... I'm gonna turn 18 in January. I am getting a T/A (See sig.)
*Money is a big factor. I want to have this thing as soon as possible (for my senior year)
I love the way T/A's look and, to be honest, that is probably the biggest seeling point of the vehicle for me. (Or at least 50%, cuz we all know what the other half is dedicated too! ) So, when it comes down to it, I guess i would be happy w/ either the LS1 or LT1. Both big V8's! Anyways, when i drive a fast car, my favorite part is being thrown back againt my seat at takeoff (low end tq) and i have heard the lt1 have a lot of power down low. But I am also very aware of their lower track times compared to an ls1 My top budget range is probably around 15k (pushing it). So, i need lots of input from you guys.

LS1 or LT1

Ps: I know that lots of you guys are somewhat biased toward your awesome LS1's (this being LS1 tech and all...), so please keep an open mind and consider my parameters. I have researched this, but would appreciate one on one input. Thanks in advance.

lower track times COMPARED to the LS1? i hope you eman the lowe tracktimes of the LS1 compared to the LT1....

LT1's have been known to show more peak torque where as the LS1 will show a table top.....LS1 is much more appealing as well in the looks category...if you need money look at the 98-00 LS1's(FORMULA OR T/A)...LT1's ive seeng et worse gas mileage...yeha they sound awesome wiht the Iron block and stuff big deal its not that geat sounding i think i like how GMMG sounds on LS1's more than LT1's (jsut personal preference) not as powerful takes much more to make i powerful...same boltons in both cars the LS1 will pull out ahead...believe me youll never turn back to wanting an LT1...
Old 08-30-2004 | 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I say since i have both a ls1 and a lt1 cars that are both running awesome. It really just depends. the Lt1 car will throw u back but just not as much as the LS1. The problem in getting a lt1 is they are usually beat up, but really cheap when it comes to money, but if u could find a good running lt1 it probably is good for a high 13 second pass? But everyone knows the ls1 is always good for 13's
Old 08-30-2004 | 05:52 PM
Launching!

slammed am.. i havnt read through the other posts yet but im gona give my "one on one input". i have owned my LT1 powered TA since highschool.. many many yrs. it has been a great ride for me!! i know stock for stock the LS1 is pushin out more power but with ur budget u could pick up a LT1 and with the rest of ur bucks build it up over-powering the LS1.. easily : )

LT1 4 Life
Old 08-30-2004 | 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's all in price. The LS1 is without a doubt a better motor than the LT1, but they can be had for a lot cheaper than the LS1. The LS1 will produce better power when modded and will probably be in a lot better shape than whatever LT1 you come across, but if you're strapped on cash you can always find an LT1 in decent shape for 5-7000 dollars.
Old 08-30-2004 | 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member20 Year Member

C'mon guys, I go to Jersey Village High School and there is lots of competition and lots of fast cars. I'm not getting this vehicle to bait shallow girls, Even though it will help, because we have more than our fair share of girls like that. But really, having a bad-*** car in high school (as a senior), that you have worked your *** off for is going to be badass, and by college, i'll just have a faster,bad-*** car (thanks to all of my paychecks being poured into it) and be able to enjoy it just the same.
How about this... come over to my house and i will show you the better reasons why to get the ls1 then the LT1

I cant say i know you, but i am sure i know people who you would recognize. I graduated in 2003 from jersey village highschool! I have a 1987 Bronco that is lifted and a 1969 fastback stang. I know brent blackwell, and a few other people. Hit me on AIM or stop by my house. I can explain in full detail why the ls1 is better! Not to mention i work on the site... so i know i am not completely worthless

Gray
Old 08-30-2004 | 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

but on the other hand . im going with a ls1 427 stroker in my 95 z28. itll look like a lt1 car from the outside. but it will run like a ************!!!
Old 08-30-2004 | 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it will probably take me a while to find the exact T/A I want (color, mileage, m6, year, stock). Thanks and keep the posts coming guys!
Be sure to check out all the online car sites (I found mine on http://www.carsdirect.com/ ) You increase your chances of finding what you want online. The closest WS6 I found was about 4 hrs (One way!) from where I live, so my wife and made one trip to go see it and another to go get it. Plus, everything in my sig was already on the car. Not major mods as you can see, but a lot of small stuff I won't have to buy later on! Just give yourself some time to find what you want!

As for which to get, get whatever you can afford. I love my LS1, but theres nothing wrong with an LT1 either. I've found that depending on the companies, some offer more LT1 parts than LS1, and they are a little cheaper. You will like either one though!
Old 08-30-2004 | 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

up until i got my t/a in high school. there was a n/a 300zx on spray that was "the ****" at our school. Then i drove in the t/a one day.... that solved that problem....
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redarrow
Not to mention, the LT1 sounds awesome. My LS1 sounds like a blender.
duals would fix that, stat.
Old 08-30-2004 | 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

GMMG and hooker would fix that too
Old 08-30-2004 | 10:08 PM
Launching!

would have to agree, my LT1 has the meanest tone..
Old 08-30-2004 | 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so much guys for all the helpfull comments. Keep em coming!