New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast toys ram air vs free ram air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd search the for sale section, and post in the wanted section. I would expect to pay ~$60-75 w/shipping.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default BGRA > FTRA > FRA

I know a few guys who run at the local dragstrip and have plugged the nose of their hoods and went to FTRA. They both tell me the FTRA is a little better and has improved their runs slightly ... maybe because of the volume of air. I know I could feel a little difference when I sealed my airbox and installed the FTRA, but, I don't have a hood with the 'nostrils', so, I can't really speak from experience ... just relaying what my buddies say.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
FTRA went on my T/A about 4 months ago. It feels much better (over my cut-out aribox) as I accelerate ... the faster the better. There is one drawback if you live in a hot climate like here in Florida. FTRA instructions tell you specifically that it may cause your engine to run hotter than usual.

I also have the 160 degree thermostat. It runs below the middle mark on my temp guage, except on the hottest days (above 90 degrees). On these hottest days or in heavy traffic, you will need a thermostat that is not the stock one IF you hotrod around town alot like I do. I know it's not my stock thermostat because I put the factory stock one back in and it ran even hotter. Immediately went back to the aftermarket.
When you say "middle mark" are you reffering to the 210 mark straight up?
Because when I switched to a 160* i noticed a little drop (like the needle now rides on the front side of the "2" on the 210* mark "in the middle" Is this proper? I just thought it would be lower on the gauge
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Hard to say

A lot of people here have said that our guages aren't accurate, however, mine seems to be 'right on the money'. It read about where you say yours is reading, once I installed the Hypertech 160 degree thromastat ... until I sealed my airbox and installed the FTRA kit. Now, the temp guage reads as you said yours does ... accept when the outside temperature gets above 90 degrees. Then, the guage reads about 10-20 degrees hotter at idle or when I hotrod it around town.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
A lot of people here have said that our guages aren't accurate, however, mine seems to be 'right on the money'. It read about where you say yours is reading, once I installed the Hypertech 160 degree thromastat ... until I sealed my airbox and installed the FTRA kit. Now, the temp guage reads as you said yours does ... accept when the outside temperature gets above 90 degrees. Then, the guage reads about 10-20 degrees hotter at idle or when I hotrod it around town.
I think the 99+ ones were desinged not to work. They are a dummy thing. If it is above the middle (210) then it is bad. It is beloiw the bottom (90 or something) then it is not warmed up. If it is in between the 2, or at like 210, then it is fine. I am really sure they are dummy gauges on the non-98 ones.

-Todd