New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Questions ....... Vette VS F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004 | 11:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
is that an insurance company? or are you just refering to across the country?

because State Farm does, Farmers Insurance Group does, and im almost sure Geico does. there are a few others that do too, that i got quotes from but didnt go with. so some of the largets NATIONWIDE companies do know, im sure some of the small piddly-dump companies dont, but you are crazy if you trust them.
Calm down! Definitly meant Nationwide as in Nationalwide Mutual Insurance Company My credit union didn't know what the SS was either. A lot of large local banks in the area didn't either (Omega, CNB, SPE - not that you guys would know the names, but maybe they are bigger than I think haha)
Old 09-04-2004 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Calm down! Definitly meant Nationwide as in Nationalwide Mutual Insurance Company My credit union didn't know what the SS was either. A lot of large local banks in the area didn't either (Omega, CNB, SPE - not that you guys would know the names, but maybe they are bigger than I think haha)
no freak out here man.
my credit union knew what one was. didnt matter though, 'cause i didnt end up with it.

it probably just depends on what book they look at. i thought all the banks used NADA now. and sorry about the little rant about the small insurance companies, its just that ive seen several frineds go that route and get screwed.
Old 09-04-2004 | 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

my insurance company has never seen my car or asked for the VIN number, maybe i should scam them, or am i being scamed and dont know
Old 09-04-2004 | 10:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
sorry about the little rant about the small insurance companies, its just that ive seen several frineds go that route and get screwed.
Nationwide isn't small. I've very suprised you've never heard of it.
Old 09-05-2004 | 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Nationwide isn't small. I've very suprised you've never heard of it.
there i go sounding stupid again, i wasnt trying to incinuate that nationwide was small. im sure there are lots of things i havent heard of! i was just making a general statement that i have seen small insurance companies screw my friends.

Originally Posted by LiqudFire350
my insurance company has never seen my car or asked for the VIN number, maybe i should scam them, or am i being scamed and dont know
they didnt even ask for the vin? that was the first thing my insurance comp. wanted to know.
Old 09-05-2004 | 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z98
Say what?

Check your info before making blanket statements like that.
Easy there...in this area of the US, with State Farm insurance, I know for a fact a Formula Firehawk is cheaper than a TA WS6. Check my sig...I've got both...with the same deductibles and coverage on both cars. The drivers for both are in the same rate category, both drivers with no points or accidents. I was there in the office looking at the computer screen when we got insurance for the WS6. I remember the specific options they had. I was on the phone when we added insurance for the Firehawk. They had no category for Firehawk. I'm not making a blanket statement if you reread what I typed. I'm basing my statement on experiance and what I pay each month for each car. If you notice, I said with State Farm...So I would say I've checked my info....
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

state farm (the branch i use) uses the vin to pull up what the car is. just like i said SS comes up as Z, so should firehawk come up as formula, if its not in the vin. the diff. is state farm has another category for SS, if you TELL them you have one. i guess they dont do that with firehawks?
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

To me everything is cheaper. My insurance sucks $370 a month!! I'm thinking of switching to liability ($60/month). But unsure if my insurer sends info to the loan company or not. I think I might try anyway.
Old 09-07-2004 | 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=luvmeZ28]state farm has been great to me. i finally got into an accident,that was technically my fault,and i was across state! they took care of it in less than a week. and told me my premiums wont go up. actually they dropped afew dollars starting next month.

I also have State Farm
I was in an accident in january, $9,000 claim
my insurance went up an extra $15.00 starting this month.
my agent told me every claim over $1,000 causes your insurance to go up.
Old 09-07-2004 | 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99z284speed
I also have State Farm
I was in an accident in january, $9,000 claim
my insurance went up an extra $15.00 starting this month.
my agent told me every claim over $1,000 causes your insurance to go up.
my accident wasnt bad. i just rear ended some jerk who started to go and slammed on his breaks immediately after. we were turning right onto a road, from a yeild, and we had our own lane to turn into. i barely tapped him and i busted up his ghetto bumper on his SHO taurus. when the cop got there, he told me i wasnt getting a ticket because it was really(but nottechnically) the other guys fault for being stupid.
Old 09-07-2004 | 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

I was merging into traffic, when my tires started to spin on the "anti-freeze" the d.o.t. sprays on the highways. Lost control and jumped the curb and took out some chain link and fence polls.
Old 09-07-2004 | 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99z284speed
I was merging into traffic, when my tires started to spin on the "anti-freeze" the d.o.t. sprays on the highways. Lost control and jumped the curb and took out some chain link and fence polls.
that sucks. thats some really safe stuff they are sprayin, huh?
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

It sucks, it will get all over your paint and is a pain in the *** to wash off. It's on the road for a while, even after it snows and melts away. The weather was nice when i crashed.
Old 09-08-2004 | 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

ws6nick: To me everything is cheaper. My insurance sucks $370 a month!! I'm thinking of switching to liability ($60/month). But unsure if my insurer sends info to the loan company or not. I think I might try anyway.

i dont know about you, but my bank wont allow liability while i still have the loan
Old 09-08-2004 | 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

wouldnt you be held responsible if you get in a wreck and its your fault, without full coverage, i mean. if it gets totalled wouldnt you have to pay for it? i think you best not try to get only liability!
Old 09-08-2004 | 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Liability means that only the other person is covered, not your car.

Your finance company wants you to have Comp/Collison coverage. Comp/Coll is NOT legal insurance in most states. The states want you to have liability insurance. "Full Coverage" is a combination of Liability and Comp/Coll and is what most people get when they purchase a new or newer vehicle.

If you finance company is listed as a Loss Payee in your policy then the bank will find out what type of insurance you have when it comes to renew the policy. The best way to get around that is to start a new policy and not have the finance company listed as a loss payee.

Keep in mind that if the finance company finds out that you just have liability, they have the right to put insurance on the car itself. This type of insurance is usually just Comp/Coll so it does not satisfy the liability limits you need to drive legally. It is also usually higher priced than most insurance products out there.

The State Farms, GEICO's, Allstate are ALL really great insurance companies. However, they are not that great in "price" when it comes to younger drivers or drivers with accidents and tickets. I know for a fact that most of these companies will not even insure some drivers due to suspensions and such on the driving record.

Most Major Names Insurance Brokerages (i.e. Eastwood, Survival, AIS) out there deal with what is mostly called "Non-Standard" insurance companies. Non-Standard in NO WAYS means sub standard. All it means is that they specialize in insuring higher risk drivers and higher risk vehicles.

I actually gave ~ever~ an insurance quote a couple of days ago and it came out to around $200/mo. That is a damn good price for a 19 year old driver on a 300+ horsepower sports car living in NorCal.

And Yes, California is one of the most (if not most) expensive states to Insure vehicles.

Oh yeah! check out www.gmac123.com

It's GMAC's insurance website. I found the best rate for me there.

Also, if any of you guys in Cali want to get quotes, don't hesitate to contact me.

-Travis
Old 09-08-2004 | 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah...one more thing

Z28, SS - Same thing to the insurance companies I deal with
WS6, Trans Am, Formula, Firehawk - Same thing to insurance companies I deal with

The difference is in T-Tops & Convertibles. Some companies charge extra (for Comp/Coll and Full Coverage) if the car has T-Tops or a convertible top(because of the obvious risks)
Old 09-09-2004 | 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pacmantravis
Oh yeah...one more thing

Z28, SS - Same thing to the insurance companies I deal with
WS6, Trans Am, Formula, Firehawk - Same thing to insurance companies I deal with

The difference is in T-Tops & Convertibles. Some companies charge extra (for Comp/Coll and Full Coverage) if the car has T-Tops or a convertible top(because of the obvious risks)

state farm was gonna charge me more for an SS. but an SS convt., i wasnt even gonna be able to afford that!